Sunday, March 14, 2021

Moxie!

Hi everyone, it's been a long time...😬 Sorry but I really had no idea about a good article, but here I am today, to talk about a great movie, Moxie!

First of all, it's a Netflix movie, directed by Amy Poehler, who is an American actress, comedian, writer, producer, and director (yes, that's a lot). 

To introduce the movie, I wanted to say the Moxie means "force of character, determination, or nerve" which is one of the main theme of the movie. I know you're going to think it's just a teen movie, but I think the message is very strong. I also want to add that Moxie is an Irish band, who mixes the genres and styles, to represent the multicultural society we live in today, because the movie denounces sexism but also racism.

If you saw or wants to see the movie, I'm absolutely not saying that in our high school, the sexism and racism is at the same level, but I'm just saying that it's everywhere, even though we don't necessarily see it... 

It's about a girl who is in high school, and every years, there's a list created to say who is the most intelligent, the most attractive, and other things less rewarding. By the way, the list is only about girls, made by boys. And one day, there's a new girl, she doesn't want to accept this list and she stands up to the quarter back of the school. The main character, Vivian, who is just invisible in her school, starts to think about everything, and becomes friend with the new girl. She begins to publish a zine, anonymously, that encourages revolution, influenced by the behavior of her mother when she was young, in the 90s I think, who was feminist and fought for her rights. Vivian can't support sexism in the school anymore, which has been trivialized by the headmaster (who is a woman?). They create a new club, named Moxie, which gathers all the girls who wants to make things change. But the headmaster doesn't appreciate this club, who "insults" guys with sexist actions, and she wants to find the creator of those zines. However, girls see that things are changing, more girls join the club, one of them anonymously confess to Moxie that she has been raped by her boyfriend. 

It really shows how even today, some men still consider that they are superior to women, even though it's unconsciously sometimes. We all have those stereotypes in our head, that make us normalize some sexism actions. 

What I liked the most in the movie was the soundtrack, because it really gives me some 90s vibes, there were a lot of Punk, Indie, Alternative ad Rock genres. There were lots of Bikini Kill songs, some of The Muffs too, so it really gives me the envy to discover other songs like this. I also liked the fact that there was a love story in the movie, I just can't resist to a bit of romance in a movie. 

I really encourage you to see it, and I hope you will, because it changes my vision of things and gives me the envy to act, even if it's on a little scale, I just want to create some zines anonymously for the high school.


Lilou <3

3 comments:

  1. Oh WOW ! I saw this movie this week and it really bowl me over. I wasn’t expecting a teen romance movie to be so feminist, anti-racist evolved. First, I was angry and chocked to see how high school can be so misogynistic and how young women endure and accept injustice. Then, I was impressed by her strength, her creativity, her no fear to break rules… Moxie hold me until the end, and even after because I want to evolve myself more, to be part of this women revolution ! Another great and striking serie which reminds me of Moxie is "Grand Army" also on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I actually watched this film because my mom recommended it and I really liked it.
    It was like watching the first teen film that "made sense" and that had inclusion values.
    We definitely need more of these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine had already recommended this movie to me and your article convinced me to watch it ;) It deals with topics that have always been important in society. Thank you for writing an article about it, I hope this movie will positively change people’s vision of things and impact them as it did for you !!

    ReplyDelete