Thursday, November 15, 2018

Black Power

Dear Charlie,
Here's a great programme featuring music linked in some way to the Black Power movement, as it's approximately 50 years since Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised their gloved fists in a Black Power salute (credit too to the Australian silver medallist Peter Norman, who wore a Human Rights badge on the podium, and was ostracised by his athletics federation as a result). My favourite radio station BBC 6 Music put out a whole load of programmes on this theme which could be worth a listen but I've listened to this one twice. It says the music's experimental, and the programme's called the Freak Zone (consistently brilliant) but I can assure you it's all accessible! You have 5 days to listen, but even if you miss that, note the names of the songs and particularly the compilation, "Soul of a Nation" on the wonderful Soul Jazz records.
So, I know you've got a great Music Club playlist to listen to, but take time out to listen to this 2-hour programme, and discover music from the likes of rap pioneers The Last Poets and Gil Scott-Heron, jazz legends Sun-Ra and Archie Shepp, plus more recent artists like Gaika and FKA Twigs.
Give it a listen (remember it's only available for the next five days) and tell me which songs you liked!
Have a good day!
Mr Leah

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0000w1b

PS I particularly love African Rhythms by Oneness of Juju, so listen through to the end!

4 comments:

  1. First of all , I'm quite sad and regretful because I didn't have the time to listen to all of the playlist but I managed to listen to about 9 songs and I recognized one of my favorite jazz songs which is Africa by John Coltrane , an amazing jazz saxophonist. So this amazing song is so powerful and it's spirit and energy makes us feel stronger ( that's why I listen to it while doing my homeworkers hahaha ) on top of that John Coltrane was clearly influenced by civil Rights "era" and black power so it's purely genius !! And thank you so much sir for this gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to listen to all the songs.
    But the songs I listened to were amazing !
    I think my favorite one is Strong Men by David Mcknight, it is a great song.
    Thank you very much for that incredible playlist !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't listen till the end but I managed to listen to the first hour, and it was great !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't listen till the end but I managed to listen to the first hour, and it was great !

    ReplyDelete