Sunday, November 18, 2018

Some news from a future-like country (aka I had just finished this article and it deleted itself so I had to write it all over again)

Martha posted an article on her experience in Canada, which summarizes my experience quite accurately too. I am going to tell you more details about some aspects of my daily life here.

First of all, it feels absolutely incredible to finish school every day at 2:15pm. But I got easily used to it. I only have 4 classes, that last 1h15 each. I chose Maths, Chemistry, Canadian Families, and Fitness. I learn new things in Maths and Chemistry, that might be very useful for the French syllabus. I now master 180° trigonometry and molecular + empirical formulas (Terminales S you already know the struggle) !!! 
Waiting for the bus in the freezing air at 7:21am...
For the two other classes, I got to know the two nicest teachers I have ever met in my life. Oib teachers, I love you too. Fitness class is extremely tough because it has nothing to do with the tennis tables lessons we take in Lycee. One day we do some CrossFit, lifting huge tires and squatting with sandbags on our shoulders, another day we benchpress, deadlift as much as we can. My body has been constantly sore for 18 days now, but the full, round sensation provided by endorphins is stronger than this little disagreement.
Also, we get to take the school bus! From the outside, it looks like the typical yellow school bus that we see in American movies and series. Inside, the seats are too close to each other for us to sit straight, we lay our legs diagonally, nobody speaks, everyone is leaning against the window, absently watching the landscape, earbuds solidly stuck in their ears, probably to avoid the torture of the crackling loudspeakers broadcasting a country music radio morning show. Although I might not sound so, I really like the bus trip. It is so authentic. I hate country music but I couldn't now imagine a school bus trip without this awful background music.

Canadians use milk bags
rather than bottles, which is,
though weird, a brilliant idea
As I start at 8AM and as there is a lunch break between the 2nd and the 3rd period, it means that I get to eat my lunch at... 10h45! But again, I got really quickly used to it. So quickly that at 9 in the morning I can already feel my stomach gently ask for food...
I must mention the fact that I eat wonderful dishes here. My host-family is half Japanese, so we eat a lot of delicious Japanese food. I finally know how to properly eat with chopsticks! I now eat rice with chopsticks. 
About food, it is true that Canadian eating habits are very different from the French ones. A lot of people snack all day long. I also feel like everyone is completely addicted to coffee.
I didn't imagine there were so many fast food restaurants. So many, everywhere. Harvey's, Mcdonalds, TacoBell, KFC, are everywhere. BUT above all these stands the Canadian god of fast-food restaurants: Tim Hortons. This Canadian company serves pretty good unhealthy food and is absolutely everywhere. Tim Hortons defines the limits of Canadians' comfort zone. If there's a Tim Hortons within sight in an unknown place, Canadians know that they are still in a safe, friendly area. I got to taste a specialty from Canada called 'Poutine', which is basically composed of French fries and cheddar cheese covered with gravy. It is very good, though very, very heavy.

I was told that from now on there would be snow until spring 
By the way, I don't know if any of you knew that, but CANADA IS A COLD COUNTRY. Surprising eh? ('eh' is something Canadians say all the time) Last Wednesday we went down to -15°C. I had never experienced such a temperature! But I still esteem I like cold.
I didn't get sick yet; that might explain the previous affirmation. Until last Friday, we'd only had a little bit of snow, that we could see at dawn while waiting for the bus, sprinkled over the fields, a thin white frosty blanket that would melt during the afternoon. But during the night between Thursday and Friday was a storm. 15 cm of snow had fallen, so school was cancelled because the roads weren't plowed enough for the buses to ride. That is called a 'snow day'.


A random cool pic from Toronto
There are plenty of other things I could talk about, but this article is getting a bit long (it's been now 2 weeks since I first started writing, so it is time to finish !). I will just add that we went to Toronto and Niagara Falls, and it was absolutely amazing.

I am having a great, wonderful time here. Thinking about coming back to France makes me anxious, almost as much as receiving Edmodo notifications during my stay (or any time actually). But I enjoy my Canadian experience as much as possible, and I still barely realize I am here, 8000km from home.

I miss you all a little bit though, and when I come back I will have plenty of things to tell you !

Jabrielle









18 comments:

  1. Waw, I didn't this article existed until now! It's crazy how we were totally not talking while you were (re)writting this. Only one little flat: I think you took way too little time to write this article.

    Much love,
    Lino <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes all the power I have left in me after an 8AM-6PM school day (which is not much I'll admit) to try not to consumed by jealousy... Very happy for you though, enjoy the time you have left !
    Lovelovelove
    Can't wait for you and the others to be back !
    P.S : so you like your host family huh ? (nope I'll never drop it, too funny, please entertain me some more with it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my host-family so much ! I don't know why you bring that up here, but yeah, they are so nice. The parents are lovely, my corespondent is super cool, and I get along very well with my exchange partner's sister, who I have a lot of childish fun with.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm I wanted to write an article about Canada... Looks like somebody stole my idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AntOne, you should definitely write an article on the 2-week exchange to complement Esther's post. Go for it!

      Delete
  4. Country music is great (in the right hands)! Glad to hear you're having a great time even if you find certain Canadian teachers nicer than us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I am not convinced yet about the quality of country music, however I am sure you know some albums that could make me change my mind !

      Maybe I should reconsider my statement about Canadian teachers, and add that they probably have the opportunity to be nicer than French teachers (I am not saying that French teachers aren't nice, and I don't intend to criticize any of them in the next paragraph).

      Student/teacher relationship seems to be much more affectionate, and closer, maybe more based on trust than it is in France.
      School in Canada is not considered by students as a drudgery, partly because their school days are much lighter, thus not fastidious. That is why they easily spend more time at school than they inevitably have to (they go to clubs, band...). In France, our days are so long that a lot of people tend not to enjoy school, and thus would never want to be part of something more, related to school.
      Plus, as Canadians get to choose almost all their classes in Grade 11, they might be much more involved in them. They thus need less to be supervised. I think that teachers are less worried about imposing authority, and just trust the students more.
      The sense of hierarchy between professor and pupils is far from being as strong as in France (although we are not being tortured, nor mentally abused, and our education system is probably not that bad, compared to some other ones) They share a lot of their private life to their pupils, and the opposite is also true. This mutual trust makes a warmer pedagogic environment, which is a benefit for everyone.
      We also must mention the fact that, of course, there are less pupils per class (around 22, I think), which is a huge advantage for teaching.

      So I think teachers are less stressed out, they are closer to their students, and so they can be more affectionate with the students.

      But I think you already know that actually !

      Delete
    2. I have two words for you and they are Johnny and Cash. See you soon !

      Delete
    3. But I could add Bobbie and Gentry.

      Delete
  5. It would have been nice to be able to complain about the weather here, but I mean what have we to say when you're living at -15° ... Anyway snow IS nice

    PS: Milk bags are smart, but are they environment-friendly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday, I heard that it was raining in Marseille, and my mind associated rain with "TROPICAL EVENT/MOSQUITO INVASION/SWEATING/TOO WARM OMG" just like I had never seen what rain is. It is super fun, and snow is definitely nice.

      By the way, I don't really know for milk bags, but I thought about it and they might be more environment-friendly than the plastic bottles that we use, because they are thinner and recyclable ! Plus the production must be easier, more economic, and using less matter.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this article Jabrielle. I was looking forward to it. It is very Canadian and very you at the same time. Well done! You've put a huge smile on my face.
    I'm delighted you're having such a great time but we'll be very happy to have the 4 of you back even if you'll be pining for your Canadian paradise and we'll have to find some way to comfort you. Warmer weather and Christmas party coming on might help, eh?
    Enjoy the end of your stay and your new glasses.
    Btw, thanks for professing your love to us even though we only come seconds in your pantheon of teachers. @ Martha, that was a nice diplomatic touch, if you see what I mean ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked my article ! Even more if it represents well Canada an myself (I don't really know why you thought so, but i am truly pleased !).
      I hope the shock of the return won't be too hard, but as you said, the agenda is full of good events !

      Delete
  7. And for the record, what's wrong with Edmodo notifications?! I've seen it even written in SMALL print!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried to make it subliminal but apparently it didn't work... Well, you may be aware that I am not a huge Edmodo fan for it makes me anxious and I don't really know why. Even in Canada, receiving notifications triggers anxiety, so I tend to avoid them. But on the other hand it also reminds me how lucky I am to be part of this exchange !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your article is so well written, like this letter/very long message you wrote a while ago :) (don't hate me for mentionning this) I'm glad you enjoy Canada this much, but I mean, why wouldn't you ! And don't be anxious about coming back to France, you'll see your cat again ! And me ! Wow ! I miss you, come back please

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the compliment ! And by the way, I am quite proud of the letter you mentioned, partly because I think I did a good job on the writing (no I don't hate you!!!!!!). And I miss you so much ! I can't wait to see you again !

    ReplyDelete