Saturday, September 18, 2021

How in contemporary America, racism is challenged by art




 Helloooo Charlie!

Today I'll write on how in contemporary America, racism is challenged by art (this is my first blogpost I will do my best to share this subject with you;) hope you'll enjoy it!) 

Here we go... Being myself from different origins I've always been sensitive to discrimination and I do believe strongly in the healing and political power of art this is why I chose to talk about this. Indeed, art can be political, a way for discriminated populations to express injustices, fight for their rights and heal from their wounds. I chose 3 documents as examples that I will present to you. 

My first document is a rap song by one of my favorite rappers: "Changes" by 2pac released in 1998  
This song is about how Tupac wants change, not just changing the way he lives but the lifestyle African-American had to live. He explains on how it was hard being poor and discriminated, that police brutality was (and unfortunately still is) very common. It also shows that the life that many people grew up into was a living hell surrounded by drugs and gangs. 
Who killed Tupac Shakur? | Britannica
Now, let's talk about the lyrics :) 
In the first stanza of the song "Changes", Tupac first talks about how certain social issues are linked together; he makes a link between his skin colour and being poor "I'm tired of bein' poor and even worse I'm black." Then he explains how poverty causes crime"My stomach hurts, so I'm looking' for a purse to snatch". He also describes the relationship between police brutality and African-Americans, where he says "Cops give a damn about me? Pull the trigger, kill, he's hero. Tupac makes an observation on how African-American communities struggle dealing with social problems "First ship' em dope & let' em deal the brothers. Give' em guns, step back and watch' em kill each other." This shows that from living in poverty and with racial problems they grow up into troubled way such as drug dealing. 


Moving on, my second document is about one of my favorite books "The Hate U Give" written by Angie Thomas published in 2017. 
The story is about a teenage girl called Starr Carter who is constantly switching two worlds: the poor neighbourhood where she lives and the rich, mostly white, prep school she attends. the uneasy balance between these two worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the unjust shooting of her childhood best friend, Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Now, facing pressures from all sides, Starr must find her voice and stand up for what's right. This novel examines the way society uses stereotypes of African-American Communities to justify violence and racism against them. 
I don't know if you guys noticed but if you take the first letter of the every word in the title it will create the word "thug" which is actually one of Tupac's phrases "Thug life" and in the novel they make a reference to it.  Thug Life is an acronym (The Hate U Give Little Infant beeep Everyone) the message was actually a warning: if we continue to bring up children in a negative environment, surrounded by racism, violence and oppression then the cycle will just continue. The book also explains that racism keeps African-American communities from the opportunities and resources needed for financial prosperity, and poverty feeds on itself, affecting generations of families. 
I DEFINITELY recommend the book and there's also a movie version starring Amandla Stenberg and K.J Apa. 


Last but not least;) my third document is a street art graffiti of George Floyd in Minneapolis, 2020. 
How Artists Are Responding to the Killing of George Floyd | Smart News |  Smithsonian MagazineStreet art has the power to express openly and to everybody. It comes to you, it is among us in the city, reminding us of racist crimes. Example of this street art of George Floyd painted near he died. It is a unique position to respond quickly and effectively in a moment of crisis. Street art also has the potential to transform urban space and foster a sustained political dialogue and trying to reach attention and making changes possible. 

I hope you guys enjoyedd this post<333
ENJOY your week-end !!
zeinab:)


5 comments:

  1. Hi !
    I never listened to Tupac, i just did know the name of this artist but I never informed myself more so I am just going to :)
    This is a really good article, you seem really informed about it. If you have some books(by the way thanks for the recommendation of the book The Hate U give, i'll read it) or movies or anything you could advise me, I'm here :D
    byye

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Zeinab! that's really interesting, probably one of the most interesting article I've read! I'll try to read The Hate U Give as soon as possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello Zeinab. I found your article very interesting. This helped me to know more about tupac, who I didn't know very well. Thank you for your great article :).
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg loved the article (very important and serious subject that's so great :p)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Zeinab, I really enjoyed your article! I've always been a fan of Tupac's music so this article was a really great explanation of his background and songs, also The Hate U Give has been on my to be read list for a really looong time so I'll take this as an incentive to pick it and give it a try.
    Thank you for this amazing article!

    ReplyDelete