Sunday, June 02, 2019

An incredible violinist

Hey everybody,
today, I want to introduce you to Hilary Hahn, an incredibly talented violinist. 

About her recordings, she has released more than 15 on the Deutsche Grammophon and Sony labels, an Oscar-winning movie soundtrack, from "The village" (even though the film itself is not that good, I highly encourage you to listen to the OST), with a music composed by James Newton Howard, the composer of The Sixth Sense soundtrack, an award-winning recording for children, and many more. But for me, this is only the top of the iceberg considering her career.

I personally adore her representations. Two of my personal favourites are her interpretation of Mendelssohn's concerto, and her interpretation of Bruch's concerto, which are absolutely stunning. She has a way of making her instrument sound smooth, with a clear definition of each note, and has an impeccable technique, as well as a great ability to convey feelings.
She plays pieces by Bach especially well, and succeeds in refreshing his music, which is, let it be said, indeed wonderful and magnificent, but sometimes heavy. She adds her personal touch of lightness and clearness, and completely offers an original and absolutely amazing interpretation (it might or might not be explained by the fact that she plays at least one piece by Bach each day since she was 8).

If you have listened to the two links in this article already, you might think "wow, i'm sure there's nothing more to her, that'd be TOO amazing", well joke's on you my friend, because there IS more to her.

For example, she is also known as "the champion of contemporary music". Many great composers have written entire concertos for her, including the world known Edgar Meyer! She also has commissioned 26 contemporary composers to write short pieces for "In 27 Pieces: the Hilary Hahn Encores". Among the composers are David Del Tredici, Jennifer Higdon, Du Yun, Elliott Sharp, David Lang, Nico Muhly, James Newton Howard, Valentyn Sylvestrov and Max Richter.[34] For the 27th encore, she held an open contest that drew more than 400 entries and was won by Jeff Myers.

AAAAAAND she is very sympathetic and kind and funny! She has an instagram account, on which she started the #100dayspractice, encouraging young musicians to practice everyday, and also has appeared in several televisions shows, and every time she is smiling and radiates lightness and fun. She for example often jokes about viola players they kind of deserve it tho, for always sounding out of tune, it's not me who says it, it's her  and is even more often found joking and goofing around.

I will end this article on a mention of the instrument she's playing on. Her violin is an 1864 copy of Paganini's Cannone made by Vuillaume. So, let's make a list:

  1. Paganini is often considered the best violin player of all times, has written what is considered the hardest piece of classical music for violin, and is basically a legend when it comes to music and especially when it comes to violin
  2. Il Cannone was Paganini's favourite violin, and was named this way because of his power and resonance, and was made by Bartolomeo Giuseppe Antonio Guarneri, the only luthier who could compete with the now world-known Stradivari. Guarneri is known as del Gesù, literally "of Jesus".
  3. When in need of repair, Il Cannone would be sent to the workshop of Jean Baptiste Vuillaume (1798–1875) in Paris, the greatest luthier of his day. Not only did Vuillaume repair the Guarnerius, but he also made an exact replica. The copy was so exact, that not even Paganini could distinguish one from the other. It was not until Paganini noticed subtle differences in tone that he could identify the original.
So yeah, that explains why she said she almost never leaves her violin out of sight.

I hope I didn't hurt any viola players, but if I did I apologise for hurting your feelings, but not for what I said, because it makes me laugh :)
I hope that this article made you discover this incredibly talented woman, because everyone deserve to hear her music in my opinion.

4 comments:

  1. Personally, I prefer the guitar. Have I ever mentioned it with you ? Just kidding, it MAKES ME LAUGH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that viola jokes make you laugh Lino! very light humour, love it!
    I also love your article by the way

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is someone going to make an article on a pianist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see that I'm not the only one watching TwoSetViolin. Personally, I love her interpretation of Bach Chaconne BWV 1004 and Mendelssohn's concerto of course! I also listen to Ray Chen who's an incredible violinist too. Otherwise, it's great article!

    ReplyDelete