Sunday, November 23, 2014

New ending "Of Mice and Men "



 Dear Charlie,
Here is a new ending of "Of Mice and Men" (by John STEINBECK) that I wrote:

" There were crashing footsteps in the brush now!

George turned and looked toward them.

"Go on, George. When we gonna do it?"

"Gonna do it soon"

"Me an' you".

"You... an' me. Ever'body gonna be nice to you.

Ain't gonna be no more trouble. Nobody gonna hurt nobody nor steal from 'em"

Lennie said. "I thought you was mad at me, George".

"No," said George. "No Lennie. I ain't mad. I never been mad, an' I ain't now."

The voices came close now. George raised the gun and listened to the voices.

Lennie begged, "Le's do it now. Le's get that place now."

"Sure, right now. I gotta. We gotta."

And George raised the gun and steadied it, he brought the muzzle of it close to the back of Lennie's head.
Suddenly, within a quick movement, George threw the gun in the water, took Lennie's hand and said "follow me Lennie, and I'll get you a mouse." Of course it was a trick that George used a lot to convince Lennie to be quicker. It worked!
Lennie stood up and followed his friend. George was greatly intelligent: he knew the ranch was in the north so he looked carefully on the trees for moss and he pursued it until they got back to the ranch. They had to hurry because the others were not far away. Finally, they arrived at the ranch. Knowing that there was no one left, they crossed the ranch and tried to find out where Candy was. Lennie found him in the barn.

"I found him! I found him!"

George came as quickly as possible.

"I know Lennie made a huge mistake but do you still want to come with us and make our dream come true?" he asked.

Candy looked straight in his eyes and smiled: "Of course I still want to come with you two! And Lennie, don't worry, it wasn't your fault, I forgive you"
Silence reigned in the barn. They could hear the screams of Curley and Carlson in the forest. Candy got up and took a pair of keys and asked: "George, can you drive a car? "

"Yes I can"

"And a tractor?"

"Yes, once..."

"Alright then, take these keys, the tractor is behind the barn. Take Lennie with you, he may be useful. I have to pack my bags..."

George took the keys, took Lennie's hand and got out of the barn. They found the tractor and tried to make it work. Five minutes later, Candy was next to them with a little bag. He seemed sad. Lennie asked him a question "Are you okay? Are you sad ?"

"No Lennie, I'm not sad, it's just...I've been here for such a long time..." he responded "I'm really happy to come with you!"

George interupted them "The tractor is working! Come on! Quick, I can see Curley coming! "

They got on the tractor and George kicked it off. As they crossed the ranch, they could see Curley and Carlson running after them. They drove over two days and they finally arrived in front of a little farm which seemed abandoned and on the other side of the road an other house which seemed quite recent. George got off and went to the recent house to ask the people living there if they could buy the little farm.
They finally came to an arrangement and George, Candy and Lennie moved to this little farm.

 


The End

1 comment:

  1. I think this ending is a little too easy, but way less heartbreaking than Steinbeck's.. u.u I have never imagined their story to end up like this, but it's pretty amazing too c:

    ReplyDelete