Sunday, November 25, 2018

Happy Thanksgiving! (slightly delayed)



Hello everyone,
I know many of you 1ere students experienced your first North American Thanksgiving in early October in Ottawa and as honorary Canadians must believe I'm beyond late.
I've also had to experience this great feast 2 years ago in Ottawa and enjoyed it very much but frankly, as far as I'm concerned, Thanksgiving is meant to be in late November and  the Canadians are much too early. (They told it's because of the snow...)

I know that a few of you in the OIB community  have also just celebrated it.
Like me, you might  have had to wait for Saturday (It's difficult to celebrate this holiday on a Thursday in France)  but it was worth it: was splendid!

As a person who wrote her PHD on Native American history, I'm well aware of how controversial this holiday can be and I fully agree that on hindsight the Native Americans would have been much better off to let these first Pilgrims starve rather than saving them by bringing food and teaching them the way of the land.

However,  it is also a very special moment for family and friends I treasure and look forward to and I've chosen to see it as a moment of hope and a very appropriate time to have a look at my life and realize how lucky and thankful I am.

Besides, the eating is real good and that doesn't hurt, does it?
If  you love cooking and eating like me I can share some great Thanksgiving-themed not necessarily very traditional  recipes
I'll hopefully get over my food coma and see you tomorrow!

Take care,
Mrs. C



4 comments:

  1. I don't celebrate Thanksgiving (I think someday I will) but the food look delicious ! It makes me want to eat it ! Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pff I feel the same, HUNGRY, thanks for that ms C.

      As many traditional festivities there's always a darker side to history, I guess it's good to know the origins to what we celebrate. But as you say we might as well enjoy.. The name of Thanksgiving seems to tell us what to celebrate, hindsight and satisfaction at the past to be able to move on is really nice !

      However, I find that Thanksgiving is a bit crammed between Halloween and Christmas don't you?

      Delete
  2. I think you're right, Thanksgiving is kind of a bit crammed between Halloween and Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Mathew and Theo. (Kind of) sorry I made you hungry.
    But I take it as a compliment and isn't it the basic state of a teenage boy anyway? ;-p
    For the record, I think that Thanksgiving's timing is great and it really works for me. It gives you opportunity to celebrate as the weather is getting colder and colder and you want to hide under a warm comforter (or at least I do) and as you're starting to miss Halloween's past fun and anticipating the Christmas festivities.

    ReplyDelete