Friday, November 28, 2014

Films of the year

Dear Charlie,

The critics of my favourite film magazine, Sight & Sound (there are a few copies in the school library) have announced their films of the year, and I can't help agreeing with their runaway winner, Boyhood, a must-see movie, filmed over twelve years with wonderful actors! I know at least one person who'll be pleased with the result. The other three films I've seen in the top 20 were all great: The Grand Budapest Hotel, by Wes Anderson; Two Days, One Night by Belgium's finest filmmakers the Dardennes brothers; and the highly intriguing Under the Skin, which indeed got under my skin. Have you seen any of these films? What would you have chosen? Or indeed, what do you wish you'd seen?
Mr Leah     http://www.bfi.org.uk/best-films-2014


3 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD ! YES ! BOYHOOD !
    I literally jumped up from my chair when I read its nomination. It went somehting like this : I was sitting, scrolling through the new articles, I saw that, and stood up, hands in the air, shouting "YEEEEEEAAAAAH !". Then I remembered that my sister was asleep a few meters from me and I sat back down, grinning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you actually wrote this article about Boyhood !!!
    I watched it when I was on the plane to NYC and I found it so amazing that I talked about it during the rest of the trip (my mother and my sister probably wanted to kill me but anyway) !
    I totally recommend it too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the Grand Budapest Hotel when we were in Belfast.
    It was a treat to go to the movies with my Irish colleague and I loved the film.
    I recommend it highly. I found it hilarious and moving at the same time and I was really impressed by Ralph Fiennes's acting.

    ReplyDelete