Monday, September 30, 2024

In praise of Kafkaesque works

 Hello Charlie!

During the holidays I discovered an author which is now one of my favourites ones; Haruki Murakami! What attracted me in his writings was the eerie and kind of Kafkaesque writing style he has. I am a huge fan of Kafka (you can consider him my main man as a matter of fact). 

Kafkaesque is a literary genre to which people started referring to when a work has that unique out of this world and almost daunting sort of vibes that Kafka's work has. People can often find this kind of works incomprehensible and illogical, but I believe that is the beauty and comfort in them




So here are some recommendations of authors and books that are kafkaesque;

- Haruki Murakami, a japanese author whose most noticeable works are Kafka on the Shore, 1Q84 and Norwegian Woods. Sadly I haven't yet read Norwegian Woods but I can say that his others works are magnificent! The ties that progressively build up between characters in his books companied of random events that will either make wonder what in hell what he thinking when he wrote that or stare in astonishment are worth the 500+ pages books! I also recommend Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage if you want an easier and funnier read, it is a bit heart-breaking as well. I must warm you all that the descriptions of women and sexual scenes in his books are definitely special and a bit uncomfortable but if you skip them and pretend the subtle misogyny in them don't exist is a great author!


- The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro


Now, this has become my favourite novel by far, I must highlight the absolute absurd aspect of this book. Personally I like reading books without knowing the synopsis, I prefer knowing the praises or prizes or the themes it treats, and I recommend doing the same with this book! Not knowing a single thing about the story adds depth to the already deeply complicated story and the randomness of some scenes will be enjoyed more!(y
ou may notice as well how Ishiguro is slowly becoming a main man of mine!)

Sadly, that is all for the moment, I am working my way though on works written by women and will try to read Ottesa Mospegh as soon as I can.
I anyone has any recommendations I will very gladly accept them!
Thank you for reading my post :)





No comments:

Post a Comment