Sunday, May 01, 2016

Steven Universe!



(and also some apologies for being so absent on this blog)

Okay so first, Hello everyone! It's been a while, like, months?
So to apologize myself here is some autoderision i guess:




 [Guilt Intensifies]

 
Seriously though, I may do it someday but definitively not now


So yeah now that this is done, we can actually get to the real subject! Which is a great cartoon that a lot of people love for a thousand of reasons:






So you might think and say: "Oh come on, I'm a grown up, I don't watch cartoons anymore! It's for kids!"
And I might answer you: "Well I completely not agree with your opinion and I'm about to demonstrate why in a 2 pages booklet of Truth and Knowledge"
But I won't do that because it would be extremely painful and annoying.
So I'm just going to say that this cartoon, such as many recent ones nowadays, is not necessarely for kids. Because it treats a lot of different and wide subjects that concern everybody. It's labelled as a family show, because anyone could watch it and enjoy it.

Before the release of this show, everyone was really eager to see what would the first Feminine Author of a Cartoon on CN, Rebbeca Sugar (who also works in the Adventure Time Team) would do, and they were absolutely stunned. I was really interested in this show since its beginning, and when I actually watched I couldn't stop from asking for more.


So what is about actually?
I really do not want to spoil you the story (because it's really great) but I'll explain what it basically is about.
We follow the adventures of a little chubby over-enthusiastic boy named Steven, who is raised by and lives with three mysterious women called Pearl, Amethyst and Garnet (from left to Right on the image). They live in the little town of Beach City, a touristic town with a very low number of actual inhabitants who make a great cast of secondary characters (seriously this show has a way to develop them that is absolutely beautiful).

The three women that live with Steven are also called the Crystal Gems, they protect the earth from magical creatures and surnatural phemenons that occur across the world. But the reason they are called Gems is not just a fancy name for Magical Girls. It's actually the name of their race (Not Really but a little bit a guess SPOILER), because yes, they're not really humans. They are gems, an Alien Race form Space who have colonized the Earth a long time ago. The story of the crystal Gems is very important to the plot so I'm not going to write it here. So yeah, the Universe in this show is actually an alternate one, where some things are a little different from ours. And what does Steven have to do with all of this? Well he is the first of his kind because he is actually Half-Gem and Half-Human! So we will follow his adventure where he has to discover his hidden powers and abilities as a gem, and teach the gems some life lessons by being more human than anyone.

This also has a little particularity that the internet community loves, it's about the fact that Gems, despite their feminine appearance, are labelled as genderless. Rebecca Sugar has said there were no such things as Male or Female Gems, but that they just chosed a feminine appearance (cause Gems can change their appearance). I'm not going to say how, or when and why, but because of this, the show explores a lot of different subjects about identity and Relationships in any types (LGBT and other different groups of people can by this way feel concerned by the problems that the characters face and relate to it).

And this is not the only reason that makes me love this show, the music and the songs (because yes, there are songs, and they are nothing alike Disney ones, they all have a scenaristic importance and help the developpement of the characters, also they are a few and all great). The story and the way the characters are explored is absolutely beautiful. The art style is adorable and flexible, which is great way to convey different kinds of emotions. And the general atmosphere of the show is just so peacefully amazing. I could go on and on about the reasons of why this show is litteraly a part of my life, but I'm not here for that.

The fandom of this show is also really lovable and creates a whole lot of great content, even entire fan episodes! But of course it has its negative sides like all fandoms but obsiously I wont even say anything about it because I'm completely in love with it.

So it's all for today folks! Give a little look at this show and I'm sure you won't regret it! I'm really going to try to be more weekly than umm, monthly? And I hope you'll enjoy my articles and that they won't be a complete waste of your time ^^
Now off i go, leaving you with a little clue on the next hypothetical article I will supposedly make next week, It's about Mysteries and Twins.
Buh Bye!

7 comments:

  1. Well I think you have already told me A LOT about this show so you know what I think of it, but I'll comment so people will see how polite I am and how much you love this show c:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so sure about that! You HAD to do an article about it. Maybe when I'll have time, i would watch it... Just like Homestuck... Also the hope to see an article about Undertale makes me full of "determination" :3 (also, I liked the little comic strip)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAOW YES a Steven Universe article :33 I've started watching it a while ago and I neeeed to continue and I don't know why I don't because it's so cute and I need to fangirl on it with people (most importantly, my best friend) but to do that I need to watch more episodes ! I guess you just reminded me of my very long watchlist and I don't thank you for that but I do thank you for reminding me of SU in particular :3

    ReplyDelete
  4. STEVEN UNIVERSE, ADVENTURE TIME AND GRAVITY FALLS are the best reasons ever to watch a screen a tremendous amount of time. I'm really frustrated that we have to wait for Steven bombs to have episodes, cause gosh.. this show melts my all body.
    Homestuck's so cool also, but I stopped at some point because.. I don't have any valid reason, I should go there again. Thanks for reminding me.
    Besides, I don't know if you've ever heard about Over the Garden Wall? It's... so addicting, so cool, so full of creativity and talent. You should give it a try if you've not yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to your article about twins too! (Mr Leah)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I REALLY need to watch this show !! I think that you have already told me some things about it but this article is confirming my desire to watch it ! ^^ I'm sure that I will like it as mush as Gravity Falls

    ReplyDelete
  7. S.U is really cool even tho it seems simple during the firsts episode everyone should give it a shot !! It really feels close to home

    ReplyDelete