Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving !




Dear Charlie,

I didn't have time to write on Halloween,  so I'm making it up on Thanksgiving with some  spooky pumpkin corn bread. They were frightfully delicious and easy to bake

Care for the recipe?

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow, white or blue cornmeal 
2 to 4 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil or shortening, melted

In a mixing bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl beat together eggs, milk and oil or melted shortening. Add to flour mixture and stir just till batter is smooth ( do not overbeat)
Pour into a greased baking pan. Bake in 425 °F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or till golden brown.
For Corny Corn bread, add a drained can of whole kernel corn.

Taken from  Better Homes New Cookbook 


I hope you enjoyed your holiday. I did.

Even if it is not a holiday here in France and I'll have to wait for the weekend to get together with family and friends and properly tuck in,  it was nice to get into a Thanksgiving mood/mode,  sharing cornbread, pumpkin pie and potato chips (our version of the traditional mashed potatoes)   with the OIB students and colleagues.
Turkey proved to be too big a challenge for this year but who knows what we can achieve next year ?Finally, I'd like to thank Gaëtan for his lovely pumpkin pie (BTW, I'd love to get the recipe)

Take care,
Mrs. C




http://www.freegreatimages.com/thanksgiving-canada-cartoon/


http://www.glasbergen.com/?s=thanksgiving

and even if it's late, I cannot resist sharing this cartoon...


http://onemanadreaming.blogspot.fr/



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe!! I've made some corn bread and honestly I think I need training...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you tried out my recipe and I'm sorry if your corn bread didn't turn out as well as you were hoping. We'll have a chat and determine together what went wrong.

      Delete
  2. Once more thank you for the cornbread it was very nice, I had some even though I ate a lot before coming to your class that day ( but since eating is one of my favorite thing to do, that wasn't a problem)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for trying it out even though you were "as stuffed as a turkey" (this is an attempt at a Thankgsiving joke, ;-p)
      Congratulations! What you did was a true celebration of Thanksgiving.
      Thanksgiving is obviously all about giving thanks for the blessings in your life and sharing with family and friends but it's also all about eating, eating and then eating some more and more etc.... I guess for some it's also about watching football games on TV but that was never my thing.

      Delete