Monday, September 25, 2023

A look into the Spider-Verse! A franchise you might want to explore

Hi Charlie!


I have been granted the power to write articles on this blog, and as Uncle Ben once said "with great power comes great responsibility". That’s why I think it’s time I take my responsibilities seriously and talk about a very important topic…The Spider-Verse! It is one of my biggest interests and I felt like sharing it with you today :D 




What is the Spider-Verse?


Many of you probably know what the multiverse is. It’s this scientific theory that says there might be a collection of universes. Imagining this theory is correct, there might be a universe where I’m not in the BFI right now! :0


With a concept as interesting as a collection of universes, it was only a matter of time before people started writing stories about it. There are tons of fictional multiverses, one of them being the Spider-Man multiverse, known as the Spider-Verse.




What’s so interesting about it?


In my opinion, the Spiderverse has a lot of things to offer.


The most exciting is that it has a big diversity of characters. 

If you’re bored of the original Peter Parker and his hundreds of comics, you could get some fresh air by looking into Miles Morales’ story! If you prefer seeing girls in action, maybe you’ll like Spider-Gwen’s watercolored universe. More into futuristic environments? You might find Spider-Man 2099 interesting. There’s so much spider-people that you’re almost guaranteed to find the ideal one for you, even if you’re not a Spider-Man fan it’s still worth giving it a shot! I wasn’t very interested in the franchise before watching Into the Spider-Verse and look at me now, trying to convince you of how great it is. 


No but in all seriousness, I insist on the fact you don't have to be a Spiderman fan prior to getting into the Spiderverse. Whether the comics or the movies, you only need a small amount of context to be able to follow the story. But of course if you want to understand all the easter eggs and dig deeper fill free to do so too!





I would like to take a paragraph to talk about my favorite one: Spider-Man Noir!! 

This article isn’t about him so I’ll keep it short. He is a version of Peter Parker who works during the 30’s. He has an "old black and white detective" aesthetic and a very interesting story. He has his own comics but rarely appears outside of them, at the exception of some video games and the movie Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (he needs way more screen time in my opinion). I am obsessed with him so do not bring him up unless you want to hear me talk about him for an hour. >:)





Where can I find Spider-Verse content?


The spider-verse both has comics and movies. 


Movies:

  • Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

   It has absolutely stunning visuals, a masterpiece of a story and great music. It’s really a must-watch in my opinion 


  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

   It’s the sequel of Into the Spider-Verse as you probably guessed by the title. It takes everything good about the first movie and makes it even better! I watched it twice and cried three times, so again I highly recommend it. 


Comics: 


I’m unfortunately not an expect on the comics, as I’ve only read a few of them. But I found an article with the reading order if anyone is interested: 



I hope I was able to make you discover this great franchise! If you want me to recommend you a spider universe to look into, or if you just want to talk more about the comics or the movies, don’t hesitate to comment! 


Sam (Imane) 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Sam! I absolutely love the spiderverse franchise, and I strongly recommend several character-based comics. If you're into Spider-Gwen, you should absolutely check out the collection of Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider! It's a really cool gathering of comics telling her full backstory. If you liked Spider-Punk, you absolutely should check out Spider-Punk: Battle of the Banned. I own these two, so if you want to borrow them, let me know!

    ReplyDelete