Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Rockmaraton 2017!

Hey there Charlie!


We are only a few weeks away from coming back to school, but I wanted to share with you my best experience of the summer: The Rockmaraton 2017! As you can guess from the title, it's a rock/metal festival. It was an amazing experience, I'm going to tell you everything about it, but first I have to thank one of the best (former) OIBs in the world: Judith, my gf, for organizing everything. *A wild girlfriend appears* THANK YOU for thanking me, you have no idea how hard it was (and how much bac revision time it took me).

Thanks a lot honey ;)

It was indeed a very OIB trip, since we were with another (former) OIB that you might know: Agathe (and her bf)! We were later joined by Judith's friends from Paris, Italy and Hungary... Very international indeed!


To begin this adventure, we departed on July the 9th from Marseille in the morning, to take two planes: Marseille - Dusseldorf (Germany), and Dusseldorf - Budapest. And as an eternal scaredy cat, taking two planes in the same day was... well...

(It was fine to be honest).

We arrived at Budapest airport (which the Hungarians pronounce Budapècht, and now I can't pronounce it otherwise why would you pronounce it otherwise ??) in the evening, everyone was exhausted, but we had a good night of sleep at Judith's cousins' house and my first try of Hungarian food (as if you had never eaten any kiflis at OIB picnics...) : the Gyümölcsleves (don't ask me how to pronounce it) and the Kakaòs Csiga.
It's basically a cold fruit soup with milk and cinnamon but it's a blast!! (the image doesn't do it justice)


Basically a cinnamon roll with chocolate, so simple yet so delicious! (and it's also the best breakfast ever, but beware, don't you dare cut it in half if you don't want someone like me to cut you in half too!)

Fun fact I learnt that night: Attila is a legit and common name in Hungary. Though, it was pretty awesome to say "I stayed at Attila's place for the night" to my mom when I came back (I could have said that I was staying at Judith's uncle's place... but that's way more epic).

Anyway, next morning was finally the time: it was 10 or something in the morning, we had met Nadett (Judith's Hungarian friend) on the train from Budapest to Dunaùjvàros (I'll let you look at how google translate says it, it's hilarious), a taxi and finally here we are: The Rockmaraton!

From left to right: Hugo, Agathe, Nadett, Judith and I... An awesome team!

The heat was very hard to take, but I was completely overexcited: first festival!! (It's always an important moment for a metalhead ^^). I won't tell you about the time we spent putting the tents in place, our first trip to the local Tesco (because they have Tesco and Auchan there, I was very surprised OH COME ON, we're civilised people!) to get a little bit of cold air and 12 liters of water that we finished in 1.5 days. Later this day, we met with the rest of the group who had taken another plane. We got back to the camp at around 7 or 8, and we were finally all here: the 8 of us, ready for the week to come!

The festival in itself was an awesome experience. It was non-stop music from 4 p.m. to 3 a.m. (that's in theory, I'd say it was more like until 4 a.m.). The food there was cheap and of pretty good quality, the beer and the cider were everywhere (I don't drink but the bars in the festival were always crowded; and from what I heard, the beer was very good and the cider awesome). The merch store had weird opening hours but they sold awesome t-shirts! And let's not forget the beach we had right next to the camp... though it was beach of the Danube... aaaaand you really don't want to go inside the Danube, particularly when you are located after Budapest. But still, the place was awesome:


There was even an off-rock camp with lots of board games and even role play games where you could come and relax... sadly in Hungarian. (We also have a wonderful photo of bearded and muscly metalheads playing with legos... but we are not allowed to put it online, sorry).
By the way here is a warning if you ever want to go to Hungary: take someone who knows the language with you, no one speaks English there!! (Hey, English standards have improved!) I'm very glad we had Nadett (who is bilingual) and Judith, else we would all have had serious problems. Plus the fact that Hungarians don't really like French people (only the nationalist ones *prays that you don't know about the political situation in Hungary*). But it was pretty ok; the staff of the festival spoke a little bit of English. I'd say this it was the "worst thing", but it wasn't much honestly.

But now, let's talk about the most important thing: MUSIC!
Oh boy, I was expecting great stuff, and I wasn't disappointed at all!! I mean, there were a lot of small Hungarian bands, and lots of them were pretty fine, I didn't expect that at all (if you have time and you like folk rock, you should check out Jolly Jackers ;)). Really, there was everything from punk, Celtic or black and thrash metal (not "trash metal" btw, that's an insult). There were three scenes, and at least 2 very big names per days. We could go to the very front for pretty much every concert or be in some really good spots in the pit. I think the best experience of a Metal crowd is doing pogos and walls of death. I know the names sound scary, but it's a lot of fun and everyone respects each other.
Here are some pictures of the concerts I went to (didn't have picture for all the shows, so here are some of my favorites ^^):
Agnostic Front, the punks of NYC. The music was good but the crowd... let's say "very energetic". (The guy in front is wearing a Rockmaraton t-shirt!)

 Xandria... Such an awesome band, symphonic metal at its best!

 Moonspell, a Portuguese band with a stunning scenography (their use of lasers was crazy).

 Talco, basically Italian punks singing communist songs but with a trumpet and guitars... What else can I say? I never danced so much in my life! Their show was absolutely terrific! (though I have no idea how they ended up in Hungary...).

 Katatonia, actually one of the calmest concerts (they are a doom metal band, I shouldn't have expected anything else).

 Sepultura. I think this photo says it all no? If you are a musician, you can only appreciate their works with drums. They got one of the most complex rythms I ever heard.

Tyr, a band that is 1) awesome 2) the only thing I know which comes from the Faroe Islands (my favourite concert from the festival!).


Paddy and the Rats, a Hungarian band who completely rocked it! I discovered them there, and I instantly fell in love!


But honestly, the one and only show that I will remember as THE SHOW of the festival...

ARCH ENEMY!!!

Everything was so perfect: the pyro effects, the background of the scene, the sound, the musicians... but I have to admit, the one thing that completely rocked it was their singer: Alissa White-Gluz.


Aside the fact that she is one of the most gorgeous female singers I know, she is also one of the best. And god, what a show-woman! I've rarely seen a singer that energetic on stage while keeping such a perfectly balanced voice... She stole the heart of many metalheads (boys and girls). 

I don't really know what to add. I met some awesome people there, everything was cheap, the people were super nice, the showers and the toilets were clean (actually an important point in festivals)... Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I spoke the local language, but I had an awesome translator with me (I don't know who you are talking about), so that's alright.  Despite the fact that there have been small arguments among the group, I spent 7 awesome days surrounded by fantastic people and surprisingly good music... Though I have to admit that we usually didn't sleep a lot and well, particularly when we got woken up at 6a.m by... HUM the noise coming from the tents next to us. But I think my biggest regret would be that I didn't get to catch any pick or drumstick (unlike the others...)

Good bye Charlie, enjoy the rest of your holidays. Here are some more pictures of the trip if you have time to spend :)

 The whole gang: Agathe, Hugo, Swen, Raphael, Judith, I, Sara and Nadett!


 Looking for a bus to come back to the festival.

 After some days at the festival... (liar that was the first day)

 Waiting for Arch Enemy!!!

Chilling at the off-rock camp (yes, I know about my feet, thanks thank you for not showing mine...seriously feet were hard to keep clean for more than two minutes).

Having some fun at Arch Enemy's concert ^^ (I love that you chose the only pit photo where we don't look completely weird, well at least you don't *winkwink Agathe*)

Photo credits: 
https://dunaujvaros.com/
http://www.metalstorm.net/home/
http://duol.hu/
https://www.facebook.com/pg/rockmaraton/photos/?ref=page_internal

I do not own any of the professional picture presented on this article.
All the subjects of these pictures agreed to appear in this article.


37 comments:

  1. i'm not that into rock/metal music, but it must have been so great to attend to a festival. i've never been to go to any event of that type, but i hope i will in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely. There are festivals for pretty much any genre, though we have a certain reputation when it comes to rock and metal ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow so cool! Visiting Budapest with your OIB's friends and going to that super fun rock festival must have been a great time! I would love to go into a music festival. I am not particularly fond of that kind of music. But I think it is (or at least it looks in the pictures you posted) funnier to dance and get exited over rock music than classical music :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not discriminate, Rockmaraton or Nuits pianistiques... obviously you don't do mosh pits in front of a Dies Irae; but both of them are awesome! And if you want to do a festival, there are plenty in France: Les Vieilles Charues, Rock en Seine, les Eurockéennes, the Hellfest... Though I agree this can be expansive, and honestly the whole trip to Hungary was surprisingly cheap (which made it a more valid option, since the whole trip cost less than 3 days at the Hellfest)...

      Delete
    2. Yes that's if you plan well in advance, in January for example. Because if you want your tickets in May then the plane is going to ruin your wallet.
      (what am I even doing here ? I guess the OIB has captured me.)

      Delete
    3. Always welcome here honey <3. That makes me think I should buy my ticket for Toussaint holidays...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Not all of them are mine, but the photographers there totally rocked it!

      Delete
  4. Well... to be honest rock t the idea was good.usic isn't my cup of tea but I have to admit that it should be great to a attend to one of these concert. And visiting Budapest with friends must have been something really pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to go to Budapest's thermal sources for €17 a day... totally worth it! Budapest sadly bears the scars of communism, but it's one of the most beautiful cities in Eastern Europe.

      Delete
  5. You were all exausted at the end of the first day! Well, if I think about it I can understand that jumping all around the place, all day, is exausting. This is so cool that you were able to afford such a big trip with a good bunch of friends. I hope you had time to visit Budapest a minimum, beacuse if not it's a liitle of a pity. Anyway, hopefully you enjoyed the festival (lol I know you all did)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even close!! We just installed the tents and went to the Tesco to buy water... I don't know how we managed to hold on until 1a.m before sleeping tbh ^^'

      Delete
  6. !!!!! I have no words... First of all this article was really good ! And you are all so lucky to have been in Budapest. It's one of my favorite cities ! I'm not a really big metal fan but that festival seemed to be like loads of fun ! I have never been to a music festival but it is one of my main goals in life to attend at least one. I am looking forward to reading more of your articles Kellian !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got plenty of them everywhere! Sadly they can cost lots of money... I know that the Fiesta des Suds is not particularly expansive, and they got Big Flo & Oli as their main guest this year, if you like rap, reggae or electro, you should definitely check it out!
      You already have loads, but more is going to come ;)

      Delete
  7. I wish I could go to a festival (with the rhcp) but my mother would say no :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how it feels :-/ It was hard to convince mine... Some former OIB went to one with the Red Hot this summer... I think it was Rock en Seine but I'm not 100% sure.

      Delete
  8. Amazing ! Budapest and the Hungarian culture seems interesting !
    I'm not a big fan of Rock music but definitively a big fan music festivals.
    I loved this article , good job !
    xoxo , Abdel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HUNGARIAN CULTURE IS GREAT *coughs* apart from the whole nationalist thing

      Delete
  9. Awesome! I never went to a music festival, I'm not the only one as I can see from all the comments above, I hope I'll go to see one someday, I'm sure I'll love this crazy atmosphere during the festival. During this summer holidays I visited a huge part of eastern Europe and we spend a couple of days in Budapest, it is truly an amazing city, the architecture is outstanding,the food was good as well.

    love the article

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Budapest is a great city... But sadly, way too many monuments still reflect the tough times under the communist dictature of the USSR. Seeing these historical monuments left as they are (because the governement is clearly more occupied to take bribes than actually investing the money correctly) just breaks my heart... but yes, overall the city is great, and the thermal bath are a blast!!

      Delete
  10. Memes and Rock 'n roll ! BEST POST EVER ! Seriously it's cool to see a topic like rock and metal music on a blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, just go back to last years page, I did a bunch of article to present some absolutely fantastic bands. Sure you'll like it ;)

      Delete
  11. You're article is amazing, it's one of my dreams to go to that sort of festival and you got to visit another country too it's just so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! My dream is to be able to go to Wacken Festival in Germany... but it is reaaaaaally expansive...

      Delete
  12. Well it looks like you had a great time :). Im not a big fan of metal ( i do like rock but the "lighter" kind). I've always wanted to go to a festival and your article makes me want to go even more.The pictures of the Hungarian food made me very hungry because it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hungary makes you Hungry ;) (my gf already killed me at least 5 times for this pun).
      I'd love to know what you are listening to, I'm a very open person when it comes to music ^^

      Delete
  13. I wish I was there so much !! I really really like metal, and can't even imagine how great it is to actually see our favorites groups. Hopefully, i will be at the "Rockmarathon 2019". And without talking about the festival, the trip must have been soooooo cool !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *whispers* there is no H in Rockmaraton, respect Hungarian spelling please !
      But yeah, the trip was very cool !

      Delete
    2. Totally! you can come at the 2018 edition too ;)

      Delete
  14. You're so lucky ! I wanted to go the Firefly Music Festival but it was way to far :( It must have been great to travel with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i know you told me about this already but reading your article mADE ME WANT TO GO SO BAD IT LOOKS SO COOL OMG

    ReplyDelete
  16. Once again Kellian takes us on uncharted territory. ;-)
    Glad you all had a great time. It was more than well-deserved.:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow ! Metal/rock music isn't the kind of music that I am into but your article definitely makes want to go to a festival ! It must have been so great to see all your favourite bands. Sharing this experience with friends and people you love must'e made the whole thing even better. You seemed to really enjoyed yourselves in the pictures and the food looks delicious ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!!It's so cool to travel with your friends to Budapest!! I really want to go there! I love the fact that you have friends all around Europe. I reckon we ought to do that as a class. Who's in?

    ReplyDelete