Tuesday, September 26, 2023

My Food Recommandations

 

My Food Recommendations


Hi Charlie! I used to be really difficult about what I ate, but now, I realize how nice it is to try to eat or make something new. However cooking can prove to be super hard and the options are unlimited
So to help you choose, here are some famous dishes that I’ve had that you should absolutely try if you're looking for something a bit different!


Ι- Jollof rice

The first thing I’ll be putting on this list is jollof rice, which is considered Nigeria’s national dish. It is a very popular rice dish that is eaten in many countries of West Africa, and in Jamaica as well.




It consists of long-grain rice cooked in a tomato base. Although recipes may differ depending on the regions, the base is the same: rice (obviously), red onions, bell peppers, stock, oil, plum tomatoes and lots of seasonings such as bay leaves, thyme and pepper.




I ABSOLUTELY recommend that you try it. I personally got to eat some at an Ivorian restaurant and I loved it!

We eat a lot of rice at home, but this one is full of flavors and different from what I am used to eating. It can be served with, plantain or chicken, and it tastes incredible.

Various versions can be made, so I suggest that you try several to know which region’s is your favorite!


ΙΙ- Have you tried qorma ?

Now this one is very special to me, because it's a dish that I’ve grown up eating. Chicken qorma is eaten in many countries of the Indian subcontinent, so there are many ways of making it, but my favorite is an afghan type.

It's a side dish composed of onions and meat cooked in a sauce that is usually served with cumin rice. What really makes it special is the way the onions melt in your mouth, and the different spices that are used.



The many variants of this dish come mostly from the choice of spices ( afghan qorma doesn't contain curry for example ). The way I like to eat it is cooked with clove, cumin, coriander, saffron and a tiny bit of pepper.

Although most recipes use yogurt to make a thick sauce, this one doesn’t, but you may top it with some (but I think it's a crime so I WILL find you if you do it).


Some people eat it with chatni, which is basically a coriander and vinegar side. You can make it with lamb, veal or chicken, as it is mostly the case in Indian cuisine.


If you love meat with tasty sauces, I highly recommend that you try this version! There are many restaurants that serve qormas, so you can easily find one near you if you live in town.


ΙΙΙ- My favourite one: the Chicken Soup

To finish on a perfect note, what could I possibly recommend if not a good old chicken soup? This is a simple dish but I just had to talk about it!



So this is a very easy meal that you can make yourself at home. Its main advantage is that it uses leftover chicken, or parts of it that aren’t really edible, such as the skin or bones.

It’s perfect for winter, and it’s very comforting to eat. I definitely place it in my top 3 of all the foods in the world: it’s cheap, delicious and extremely easy to make! 




The base of this meal is the chicken broth. You either make it with the non-edible parts of the chicken, or you can use a good old cube stock that you throw in with vegetables (carrots, onions and leak) and some potatoes.

The best part is the tiny (and I insist on this point) pasta that you add in the end, because they’re always overcooked and melt in your mouth with the potatoes.


(notice I bought these in Italy so they are saved for very special days of deep depression)

WARNING: if you make chicken soup, you MUST use tiny pasta like those letter-shaped or star-shaped ones. It’s crucial, otherwise you’ll end up with something very weird and the pasta will be chewy!




That’s it for this article, hope you enjoyed reading it! As I am aware that those are very popular meals, you might have tried some already. But was it a different version ?

Have a great time eating!

Elaï :)

3 comments:

  1. A nice article!! I also love chicken soup, it's a very comforting dish:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken soup is indeed amazing, where I come from it is actually an entire cultural dish! Although we prepare differently it's very cool you like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello ! I really liked your article as I like to discover new dishes so thank you :)

    ReplyDelete