Thursday, March 12, 2020

Let's waack!

Hey Charlie! You know me, I tend to reappear from the shadows every time a term ends. Today, I wanted to talk about my favorite dance style : waacking!

This dance was born in the gay clubs of  the US in the 80s. Waack was originally a term used by the cops that repressed the gay community and was turned into a positive and celebrative one: waacking. This style is based on D.R.A.M.A. You dance to it on disco music and you should serve face and a lot of arm tricks. It's often feminine and exaggerated, it's fun and energetic and today female and straight dancers have taken over waacking as well, making it more mainstream especially in Asia where for a reason I'm not aware of, people are really fond of it.

Here are some of my favorites videos showcasing this dance style.




1 comment:

  1. yes Yes YES YEEEEEESSSSSSS WACKING IS SOOOOOOO GREAT! I hate the fact that in crew tournaments they stopped considering wacking as its own style and unified it with voguing. but oh my god these videos are so good, thanks for the trip man!

    ReplyDelete