Sunday, February 16, 2020

Portrait of my favorite author

Hi Charlie!

Today I wanted to talk about a fantastic English writer, who’s name is Daniel Tammet. 
And what a better way to make a portrait of someone, than to draw him! So here’s what he looks like 
(or at least what my drawing looks like):

                      Daniel Tammet

And there is one thing I can tell you after spending 3 hours drawing him: he has a very complex haircut.
So Daniel Tammet is born on the 31 of January in 1979, if you do the math, that means he is aged 41 now, 
in a large family on the east side of London. 
He has Asperger syndrome, savant syndrome as well as synaesthesia, which means he can see numbers
or days with shapes, color or feelings.
You maybe wondered what was represented on my profile pictures? Well here’s the answer, they are photographs
taken by Daniel Tammet’s husband, Jérome Tabet.

    Eleven                 One                    Eighty-Nine

This is what he sees when he thinks of certain numbers. 
For example, he described eighty-nine as “dark blue, the colour of a sky threatening storm; a beaded texture;
and a fluttering, whirling, downward motion I understood as ‘snow’ or, more broadly, ‘winter’.  
But he has also an image when he multiplies a number by two (for example):

Multiplication by two

I came to read first his autobiography, “Born on a blue day” which I recommend you read because he has the same 
passion I have for the number pi (yes I know it seems a bit weird, but to understand you just have to read the book).
He memorized 22 514 decimals and recited them by heart in 5 hours, 9 minutes and 27 seconds!



   
         Cover of                  Cover of his new book, “Portraits”
“Every word is a bird 
we teach to sing”

He also loves to write, as well as learning languages, he speaks 13 of them. 
In his book “Every word is a bird we teach to sing”, which is a collection of essays on language, he explains 
how the different words of languages are linked. 
He relates to the sounds they have, characterizing their shape, or consonance. He also writes poetry with numbers, 
and with words. He says the most beautiful thing he read is the word lollipop because to him, he read “1011ipop”, 
half-word half-number. And it is only one of the many fascinating examples he gives in his books.

What I think is really interesting, is that he really describes precisely what his process is, and how he sees the world. 

You understood that to me, I could write pages and pages about him, and I deeply recommend you check out his
writings! 

Here’s a link to his website if you are interested: http://danieltammet.net/index.php

Thank you very much for reading!
Astrid

6 comments:

  1. Thank you to let us discover this impressive man ! It is very interesting to see how this kind of person « translates » the numbers in colors or forms, it is quite fascinating. I really want to read his autobiography to try to understand better his world, which seems very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it and I hope you will read his books, they are really fascinating!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for making me discover this writer, Astrid. I just love your drawings. Remember that this year, we want teacher portraits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, and there will be some portraits of the teachers for this year's yearbook!

      Delete
  3. I love how you describe his writing; we can see that his books mean a lot to you.
    Anyway, I will certainly check out this author : you convinced me right away when you said “he writes poetry with numbers”. The story about “1011ipop” is fantabulous too. One last thing : did you draw him in blue in reference to his biography “Born on a blue day” ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thank you very much for your comment! Indeed I found his story remarkable and I absolutely love the way his sees words. Also yes, I try to mean something when I pick one color for my monochromatic drawings. It's not always the case but here it was, so well observed ;)

      Delete