Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Why I've been obsessing over this song...

Hi Charlie! As you can see, this is my first article (and hopefully not the last)!


After literally HOURS of wondering what subject I could possibly write about, I simply decided to talk about this song I've been tirelessly listening to since two weeks..! You know, we've all had these moments where we couldn't get enough of this one particular song or artist, well I'm right in the middle of it, even though I'll probably get fed up of this tune in less than a week and come back at it in 5 months…












The song is called "The People" by Common otherwise known as Lonnie Rashid Lynn.Jr who's a (not so famous anymore) rapper but also an actor. he was born and raised in the southern neighborhoods of Chicago.
(This article is becoming more of a biography than anything else..)

This song was released in 2007, produced by Kanye West and was featuring Dwele on it.
(Here's the link to the song in case you want to listen to it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7B2VgRShew

Now let's jump right into the reasons why I've been obsessed with this song!












I first heard this song when I was about 6 years old (thanks to Sabrina, my big sister for introducing me to it), back then I had NO IDEA of the topic of the song and just simply used to vibe to it, the rhythm and the instrumental sounded nice to me, that's all I needed to be able to appreciate it.

When I look back at it, I associate it with my deepest and most beautiful memories, it's crazy how the human brain can make a connection between memories and a song years after hearing it.

I also found the lyrics to be eye-opening and well thought of.
 He gets to address the different social aspects of the society and the main issues that it encounters, almost like political rap.


Now that I'm older, I've done some research and found out that one of my favorite parts of this song (at 1:58 min)  was a sample (which is basically the reuse of an already existent recording) of "We Almost Lost Detroit" by Gil Scott Heron! How cool is that? (Props to Kanye West for having such an amazing ear, the 6 years old me is forever grateful.)
















I suggest that you also listen to this song and try to catch the sampled part!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpNUqNe0U5g

(Let's not make this article unnecessarily long and just comment your favorite song for me to listen to it ;) ) 
Peace out!

4 comments:

  1. Yasmine, queen of memes. I don't really have song suggestions for you because as you know, YOU are the one who always gives me new songs to listen to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know if I preferred the article itself or the memes you used

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gavein the tentation. YOU FILLED IT WIHT MEMES!
    i love it, (and that is more than brave of you to try and let it pass in the school's blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yasmine had every right to use memes. Memes on the blog if well chosen (emphasizing content and in apropriate taste) are fine!

    ReplyDelete