Wednesday, October 30, 2019

It is not Back to the Future...but Back to the 80s!!!


Hi Charlie! 


Please let me tell you that for my first article, I had no idea what to write about and I was quite nervous about this lack of inspiration...sad face...but this morning, my mum told me I was wearing the same clothes as her when she was my age. And BAM!!! Illumination!!! The little genius in me woke up and made me want to talk about the fact that nowadays it seems that it's difficult to distinguish the year 2019 and 1985.

Oh yeah! The 80's! In a kind of way I am nostalgic of my parents' teenage years and I admire that period. Nostalgic? Why? How is it even possible? Lily, you were not even born, so stop saying nonsense!

Indeed I wasn't, but 80's has influence in various fields on our time and on us, teens!



Fashion
How can I talk about the 80's without mentioning fashion?! Indeed, fashion always come back! Most of the teens nowadays own things that were worn by their parents when they were teens themselves (me the first):
Watch Casio, Stan Smith Adidas, Converses, oversized jackets/shirts/jumpers, Levis jean 501, leather jacket, t-shirt with the picture of a music band on it or the movie poster of a movie, circular glasses, bumbag, blazer, large hoop earings, shoulder pad, fluorescent tights, trainers Fila, striped sweater, waterproof coat,... Those things are still trendy!
During the last midterm, I was at my grandparents' and I rummaged about in my mum's former wardrobe and I found old clothes that used to be my mum's! Brillant isn't is? Recycling! I even found a beret and shoes! Look!



Fun fact: Did you know that a Ralph Lauren collection, inspired by Rachel Green's character in the series Friends, has been recently created based on her style in the 80's? Now you do! Even the great designer houses are vintage!
Movies/Series

There are movies from the 80's that still pass on tv: Back to the Future, Footloose, Breakfast club, Indiana Jones, Dirty Dancing, Top Gun, Star Wars,...and they are awesome! There are also many remakes these days, in the Disney univers for example: The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty & the Beast (yes with Emma Watson! Isn't she perfect?),...from the 80's and 90's, which is a comeback of those stories for the new generation.

Besides, recent series are inspired by the 80's as well, like Stranger Things ( it's the best example I can give I guess). In Stranger Things, there is a kind of nostalgy in the story, inspired by famous fantastic films of that time, told from the point of view of kids who are the heroes of that story. Stranger Things has plenty of references from the 80's: clothes, haircuts, daily and iconic objects, and an explicit homage to E.T, The Goonies (that I love), GhostBusters,...Other series, which are originally from the 80's, have known sequels such as Dallas, reboots like MacGyver and adaptations as Lethal Weapon,...




Music

Finally, there are of course the immortal singers and songs from the 80's that we still listen to because we simply love them and also because they are timeless (I give you the most famous ones in my opinion).

Billie Jean, Thriller and Beat it by Michael Jackson, Take On Me by A-ha, The Final Countdown by Europe, Eye of the Tiger by Survivor, I Want To Break Free and Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper, Sunday Bloddy Sunday by U2, Purple Rain by Prince, Africa by Toto, ... and MY FAVOURITE is I'm Still Standing by the great Elton John!!!!!!!

If you haven't listened to them well, you definitely should because they are very famous. But I think you already have,...then do it again!



In any case, the movies and the songs mentioned above are eternal, from my point of view. Not because they are very famous or because I like them a lot, but because after three decades their messages such as acceptance of the other even if different, money issues, relationships with parents, breaking certain rules... chime with the very same issues faced by our own generation. Not much has changed through the years.

I hope you enjoyed what I wrote and if you didn't...too bad! I take the subject of my article to heart because I find very funny when my dad tells me "You're are apparently born in the wrong period, dear!" when I dance like Chandler Bing on a hit of his generation!

4 comments:

  1. It was a very good article I think, it makes me laugh because just yesterday I was stealing my mom's old clothes too 😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your article ! The 80’s are definitely my favorite decade, sad I never knew them lol. And who doesn’t love The Goonies ;) Your playlist is legend, and the songs have such great messages <3 . I would add Rasputin by Boney M. ! 80’s fashion is sooo good too, and I am so happy it is back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete