Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Welcome to the Haut-Koenigsbourg castle ! (...and other adventures...)

This summer holidays, I went with my brother and my mother to Mulhouse, in Alsace, where my aunt and her children live. We visited lots of sites and made a lot of activities, but today, I wanted to share with you the moment we spent at the Haut-Koenigsbourg castle, which was interesting and funny at the same time, for my first article on this blog. I hope you will enjoy it !
One afternoon, my aunt and two of her daughters decide to take us somewhere as a surprise. So, we take the car and go for two hours and a half of driving.





Going out of the car, they kept on saying to hurry because we were going to be late. But late what for?  When we finished climbing the hill, we understood that we were at a medieval castle: the Haut-Koenigsbourg. The view up there was stunning, even before entering. 


As soon as we got into the castle, we wet a knight on his horse, which immediately put us into the atmosphere. 



My cousins finally told me that we were here to see a performance, but when we went to buy the tickets, we were told that there was not such a thing here. My aunt then took the flyer of the castle, and they realized that we were in the wrong castle! We understood that when we set up the GPS, my cousin had put the name of the wrong castle. We laughed and were quite disappointed because it was too late to arrive on time for the last show of the other castle. So, we decided to stay there and followed the guide through the castle. We learned interesting things about the history of both the castle, which has been German and French, and the people who lived there. I am now going to let you appreciate some of the pictures we took. 





(Yes, it is my brother with the Marseille blue cap)



And one scary wild boar, one!


One of the first wardrobes. The original idea came from one of the residents of the castle, who thought that it would be a good idea to put a chest on the top of another one.


A more recent version of the wardrobe.





The two previous pictures are from the weapons room.



 Beautiful view, isn't it?






When we finished visiting, we took advantage of the fact that there were very few people to take some more pictures of the landscape and the castle. 




And we did so on the way back to the car too...



But this is not the end of the story, because about ten minutes after we left the castle, when we arrived in a little village, we smelled something coming from the back of the car. We broke down! There weren't any mechanics, or at least we didn't know if there was, but after a few phone calls, and waiting for the car to cool down, we continued our way. It was just a little bad moment. 


The landscape was once again very beautiful on the road. We even saw the castle on the top of the hill, very small now. 



As we looked at the landscape, we also saw a storm coming towards us. 



We hoped we would be home before it arrived, but unfortunately, we didn't. Hail started to fall, we couldn't see a thing a meter before the car, we were driving very slowly and thought that at every moment, a hailstone would break one of the windows of the car, and all the for about five very stressing minutes. Thankfully, nothing bad happened and we arrived home safely. It was quite an adventure we had this day, and I hope I could make you at least smile while you read. 

Inès Benamer. 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful landscapes, I would be very happy to visit this castle and this region in general because they both are a part of French history but also German I think

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool ! My mum read the article with me and found the castle really pretty. My mum has a secret obsession with castle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is one beautiful little travel

    (is there any connection with Kant? the name of the castle seems to be the same or at least ring a bell. and I'm a tiny bit dyslexic sooooooo I kant really find the name of the place(see what I did there))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this precious memory of yours but future articles are to be more closely related to the OIB and/or the English-speaking world.

    ReplyDelete