Thursday, September 19, 2024

My trip to Scotland

 Hi Charlie !

 Last summer during two weeks in August I went to Scotland, a country of legends, Loch and forests and I’m going to tell you a bit about my trip and about Scotland.


  •  Firstly I went from Marseille to Edinburgh by airplane. I stayed 2 days there. This is a very nice town with a beautiful architecture and an amazing old town which is perched on a hill. This is also the political capital of Scotland but this is not the biggest city in the country (it is the second behind Glasgow).



  • Then I went on the west coast, close to the famous Isle of Sky. The landscapes were very special and amazing. I visited different medieval castles like the Eilean Donan Castle (see that part here-under), some small towns, I’ve seen a lot of Loch (these are lakes in Scotland) and I did a bit of hiking (under the rain and the wind -> see “weather” part).

  

On the Isle of Sky :                                        The Loch Cluanie :


  • Finally I went  to the Trossachs; I’ve also seen a lot of Lochs and castles (again !!!) and did hiking . I went there to the “ Loch Katherine “ which is a famous Loch there. I did some bike riding around the Loch (see the “Loch Katerine” part).
  •   I visited Glasgow one day, I started with the River Side museum (museum of transports) because it was raining (again !!) and then I visited the old part of the city. This city has an industrial past. Glasgow is a really charming and dynamic city.

-> River Side museum 

  • The Eilean Donan castle :

That is a really famous castle in Scotland that was built on the 13th century. It is a special caste because it is on a little island and we can access it only by a stone bridge in order to protect the Loch. The movies “Highlander” with Cristophe Lambert and also “The World Is not Enough” a James Bond movie were shot there.  


 

 

 

  • The Loch Katherine :

This Loch is very famous, since 1859 it is a fresh water reserve for the inhabitants of Glasgow.

The beauty of that place inspired to the poet Walter Scott one of his most famous poems : “Lady of the Lake”.

 The poem : https://www.fulltextarchive.com/book/the-lady-of-the-lake/ 

- Little fun fact : in 1859 for the inauguration of the new water system they built a house for the Queen Victoria but when they inaugurated it with canons shots all the windows were destroyed and she couldn’t sleep or live here anymore !


  • The weather :

The weather is also very special but not in a really good way. The only good part was that we did not suffer from heat but it was raining every days (except two days in two weeks !). It was very weird because it was like raining during one hour or half an hour and then suddenly it stopped for the same period and rained back again. I’d say that it really was the low point of that trip. Except that it was a very wonderful and interesting trip ! In Scotland they have a really funny saying which is “ If you don’t like the weather just wait fifteen minutes !”

 

  •   My opinion :

It was a wonderful trip, the landscapes were so unusual and amazing. There was a beautiful vegetation and plants with different colours. What also make the country so special is all the legends and the rich history. So many castles ! The Scottish with their bagpipes and their kilts were funny and welcoming. I also saw the famous “Highland cows” with their very long hairs and a lot of sheep. I haven’t met the famous Lochness monster but I appreciated all that marvellous expanses of water everywhere with all shades of blue.

 Thank you for reading this article I hope you enjoyed it !



 







 

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! This sounds like such a fun trip (I'm a little jealous), I would love to go to Scotland some day and this sounds like the perfect plan (except for all the rain) of what to do. The west coast and the Eilean Donan castle look so beautiful !! I really should try and sneak my way onto a plane to go there soon. Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyy ! Seems like you had perfect holidays ! This country looks so interesting to discover with all the folklore and myths about it. In addition, the pictures you took show very nice and beautiful landscapes and cities. The fact that you've really enjoyed this trip makes it even more pleasant for us to read it, we feel the energy you put in it ! (perhaps if you come back one day you'd finally see your lochness monster)

    ReplyDelete