Thursday, September 19, 2024

Rupaul's drag race: the best TV show ever made.

 

Hey Charlie!

     Do you ever feel the need to watch something comforting yet drama-filled and very gay (gay as in both joyful and LGBTQ+)  ?   If so, look no further than Rupaul's drag race: a TV show where drag queens compete in acting, comedy, singing and fashion challenges to win many different prizes but the most important one being the crown and scepter (and probably the cash prize too) handed to "the next drag superstar" at the winning ceremony. The main host is Rupaul Andre Charles (an American drag queen) who created the show in 2009: it immediately blew up. 
  



     Cut to today, there are 16 seasons of Rupaul's drag race and almost too many different branches of other drag races to count. Like, for example the "All star" seasons where old queens come back to compete again! In edition, many countries (France, Thailand, UK, Brazil...) have come out with their own versions to represent queens of their nationality. 
    Unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch every single season out there (it's near to impossible), but from the ones I have seen, my favorites are (with my favorite drag queens of each season) :
From the original franchise:
 - Season 6 ( Bianca del Rio and Adore Delano)
 - Season 9 ( Sasha Velour and Shea Coulee) 
 - Season 12 ( Gigi Goode, Crystal Methyd and Nicky Doll)
 - and Season 13 (Gottmik and Symone)
And of the all star franchise:
 - All star season 2 ( Alyssa Edwards and Katya)
 - All star season 7 ( Literally the entire cast of season 7, they are all amazing)
I am prepared to debate with anyone who disagrees with my choices.
   However, if you do want to watch something with a more calm vibe and less drama, I would recommend Drag race France ( with Nicky Doll, a French queen, as the main host), all three seasons that have come out are just absolutely incredible.



   Honestly, Drag race is just such a feel good show to watch. It's not only about competing and laughs but it's also a safe space to raise awareness and show other LGBTQ+  people out there that they're not alone. People can relate to and feel inspired by what the drag queens have lived through ( I can confirm that there isn't a single episode without a heartbreaking story of a homophobic event that happened to one of the contestants). It's so beautiful and touching to see all the queens come together to support each other regardless of previous drama. 
   I truly recommend watching a few episodes (or binge-watching multiple seasons), if not for the challenges then at least for the jaw-dropping  lip-syncs they do at the end of each episode.



(this is one from all stars season 7 where the queens had to compete with a spoken word lip-sync instead of a regular song)


 I can promise you, you won't be bored; genuinely in one episode you can go from laughing hysterically to sobbing to singing along to the lip-syncs. It's an experience you don't want to miss out on. 

So go watch Rupaul's drag race... like now.
Bye!   








3 comments:

  1. Hi Eléonore, thank you for this amazing article! I myself have watched a couple episodes of Rapaul's drag race(too long of a time ago to recall, and too little episodes to give a concrete opinion) but I do recall finding hilarious because of all the drama, maybe this is my sign to watch more than just a couple episodes and random clips that become memes occasionally lol.
    Anyway have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I wasn't aware of this show until two months ago, because it's not what I usually watch, but I discovered Drag Race France because of Panayotis Pascot. I really love this comedian and he was a guest or a judge ( can't remember ) on the show and it made me take a look at it. I only watched a couple of minutes but it looks very fun ! Great article :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I haven't watched Rupaul's Drag Race yet but after reading your article I'm very curious and intrigued by the univers and the plot of this show. It's interesting to see how it promotes diversity and creativity through the art of drag. I think that I'm gonna watch it soon !

    ReplyDelete