Monday, November 30, 2020

Looking for Alaska, a review

 Looking for Alaska

a review



Hi Charlie ! 

As you may know, John Green is the author of the famous book "the fault in our stars" which you might have read or if you haven't, you might have seen the movie adaptation. In this article, I'm going to talk about "Looking for Alaska", another amazing book of his that I really loved reading.

The book starts with a countdown « One Hundred and Thirty-six Days Before », but we have no idea what will happen at its end. It is divided in two parts « Before » and « After »

The first part tells the story of Miles, who leaves his city and his parents to go to university in Culver Creek, in Alabama, hoping to experience different things from what he has already did. There, he become friends with his roommate Chip whose nickname is « the colonel ». By hanging out with the colonel he gets to meet his friends Takumi and Alaska (who seems to be really cool but a bit emotionally unstable). Miles is pretty awkward while Alaska is really outgoing, charismatic and seems a bit misterious. He instantly falls in love in her because of her intriguing personality but she doesn't seem to be interested in him and she already has a boyfriend who lives in her hometown. Throughout the story we see the characters becoming closer and constantly playing tricks to "the Eagle", the school director . At some point Miles even get a girlfriend (even though he clearly loves Alaska), Lara who becomes a member of the group. This year is a year of discoveries for him, he builds strong friendships, falls in love and experience a lot a new things with his friend group.

As you could have guessed, the second part starts after a big event that happened in the end of the first one. Obviously I can not tell anything about it because it would be a huge spoiler and would probably ruin your possible wish to read the book.

All I can say is that this book was really really sad, I actually had to stop reading when I was only halfway through it because I couldn't stop crying ( lol😢 ) and then I had to take a break from it for a few days before reading the end because I couldn't bear it anymore. So if you're as emotional as me, get ready to soak your pillow but still, I totally recommend reading it because it's a really great story anyways and we get to see the teenagers developing and improving their personalities which is really great. I had the feeling that character development and questioning themselves was something really important in the whole story. Finally, I loved the fact that every character were different from each other, had strong personalities and that they were however really close friends, respected each others feelings, experienced a lot of stuff and tried to stuck together during the bad times.

Also, the book is available at the school library so if I managed to make you want to read it, you can find it easily :) Let me know if you have already read it and if you liked it or not!

Margot C  😸

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Margot for your article! In fact I've already read this book, and I'm keen on of John's style of writing. This book may not be my favourite of him (my favourite is Let it Snow), it was still a good (french) reading. The countdown is just unsustainable (because I'm a pretty impatient person). I do prefer the first part as there is more action, and even if I don't like the "opened" or philosophical questions, the end was just amazing, leaving me perplex and make me wanted to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read and watched the Fault in our stars and have been recommended this book but I've never actually got to read it :/ thanks for reminding me of adding it to my list ;)

    ReplyDelete