Sunday, April 19, 2020

Baking during Quarantine

Hi Charlie,

As you may know, we are in lock-down so we have to stay at home. And for me lock-down means extra time for COOKING !!


                               

So today I am going to give you some tips and advices to help you prepare the most delicious dishes (or not ) in good conditions.

1- Before cooking anything, wash your hands!
I know it may seem obvious but I am really serious. Indeed, it is important for many reasons, firtly because it is cleaner (who knows where you've put your hands) except if you want to intoxicate anyone... Also, do not forget to wash your hands between two different steps, for example if you've been cutting peppers, wash your hands before taking a pan. Thanks to that, you won't put mess on your pan AND on the handle of your cupboard (all the more if you're a maniac like me, it takes forever to be cleaned). Also some ingredients leave their taste on your hands (last time I rubbed my eyes after cutting pepper and it wasn't beautiful to see).

2- Check your ingredients AND ustensils before cooking
I talk by experience, if you start cooking something without checking if you had all the ingredients, you'll firstly waste all the ingrdients you used before realizing you missed something and secondly you'll feel very bad because you wouldn't have been able to express the cook within yourself.

3- Select good product 
It may also seem obvious (yes, all my points seem obvious. It shows how I am original) but selecting good products is important. It is healthier and it really changes a meal. It sometimes means selecting branded products but not always, it depends of the product. For example, concerning chocolate for my cakes, I use whatever chocolate for baking and I do not see a difference but concerning cheese or honey I rather using real products (You can find many individual producers around Marseille. I buy my honey from two adorable women (a mom and her daughter) at St Maximin La Sainte Baume but you can find real good products in a supermarket. Concerning honey the Lune de miel brand is very good! ).

4- Work and clean at the same time
It is really important to cook and clean at the same time. Indeed it will prevent you from feeling overwhelmed, you'll enjoy more cooking and it will be easier. If you let the mess accumulate, in the end you won't be motivated to clean the mount of ustensils you used and you will lose time that you may have used to connect on instgram, to sleep or even to read a book in french to work litterature.

5- Enjoy your meal and if you can share it
A meal is always better when it is shared with friends and/or family and the fact that YOU cooked it will make you appreciate it more. (You'll also be able to avoid clearing the table as you'll have already gave efforts to cook a masterpiece).


 I hope you enjoyed this article. Tell me in comments if you have some other tips concerning cooking. Also, I wanted to know if you'd like me to share some recipies. I loooooove cooking (as you may have guessed) and I can share with you some of my favourite recipies, tell me if it interests you or not.
I hope you and your families are all well, I can't wait to see you again, take care of you!
ILRDM

5 comments:

  1. Hey Inès ! I really liked your article and really caught the cooking-loving vibe I also got during quarantine, making like 4 cakes a week. I would really love to hear about recipes !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inès, you are one of the OIB's master chefs. I look forward to the next time I'll get to have a taste of the treats you cook/bake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that your tips are going to be very useful to me because I’m not good at organizing myself when I’m cooking so this article might help me thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I love to cook and I've also done a lot of baking during quarantine! I agreed with all your points, it's so satisfying having the kitchen and materiel clean while cooking, it makes me want to cook even more. Thank you for your article :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smae thing,I became obsessed with cooking during quarantine!
    Personnaly I am pretty bad with cooking and cleaning at the same time,but I should definitly do that more.
    I also never check my ingredients before cooking so I have to go buy groceries in the middle of my cooking session,pretty annoying...
    So thanks for this article I guess it will make my life easier

    ReplyDelete