Wednesday, October 23, 2019

The most useful language (it is not English)

Hi Charlie,
Today I am publishing my first article on the blog and it is about the most useful language I have ever studied : Latin.
(I think you noticed that my last sentence was ironic)



Some of my classmates ask me why did I choosed to study latin and I never know what to answer to this question. Indeed, I have been studied this language for four years now and I still do not know why I choosed to continue latin this year. Already at collège the first, second and third declinations traumatized me, without talking about the parisyllabic and imparisyllabic exceptions.
So to explain my choice (which is maybe a bad choice, or not), I present you five reasons to study latin and five reasons to not study it.

Reasons to NOT STUDY latin:

  1. It is a dead language  Latin professors can say what they like, latin is a dead language which is not spoken by anyone, except few crazy people of Roman mythology. 
  2. It is a lot of additionnal work   If you are in OIB, (even if you are not) you have a lot of work when you go back to home, so with this mountain of work, essays and books to read; the rosa,ae declination is not really welcome. 
  3. You study it when all your classmates are at home   Finish at 6 P.M. every mondays and tuesdays,when your other classmates finish at 4 P.M. is psychologicly very hard, espacially when you know you will sleep at 2 A.M. because you have to learn by heart how to conjugate the five groups of conjugation at passive form for the next day. 
  4. Exceptions and complexcity   Latin is a complex language, add to the many conjugations, the words have declinations, which means that they do not have the same form according to their place on the sentence. Moreover, there are a lot of exceptions, maybe more than regular words.
  5. A travel which will never take place   When you have to choose if you want to study latin, teachers always talk about this famous travel at Rome which is supposed to take place the year after but which never takes place.    

Reasons to STUDY latin:

  1. It brings culture   By studying always the same texts by Ovide, Tite-Live, Suetone or Homere you become a expert in greek and roman mythology but also in the Antiquity in general.
  2. If you want to do medicine studies   A whole part of the complex vocabulary you will study in medecine is in latin.
  3. Understand Harry Potter's magic formulas    A lot of magic formulas in Harry Potter are in latin but there are also others puns in latin, like the names of the Black family.
  4. Discover another aspect of literature   The latin literature is very rich and it may be interesting to compare elegy with lyric poetry in an essay for example.
  5. Have good marks    To be honest, it is (I think) one of the most important reasons which can influence someone to study latin. Latin teatchers are very happy to work with us : courageaous students who choosed to study latin, so they are in general very nice on the notation. In addition, the new baccalauréat advantages the latinists, there is any latin test, we just have added points at the continuous control like for the DNB.


I hope you enjoyed my article, if you are a latinist I hope it gave you courage and motivation to continue latin lessons.
Good holidays everyone, hope you enjoy them (if you do not have too much homework ;-) )

Inès LOUCIF (aka ILRDM for those who understand)



PS: here is the first declination if it interests someone 
       
             SG          PL
NOM    rosa       rosae
VOC     rosa       rosae
ACC    rosam     rosas
GEN    rosae      rosarum
DAT    rosae      rosis
ABL    rosa        rosis



  

15 comments:

  1. Hey, I really loved reading your article (with all the irony of course :D), and also good luck for your homework and (tiring) schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,good luck too for your music lessons (I expect us to make a concert at the end of the year, me siniging in latin and you playing organ ;D)

      Delete
  2. Wow, I really recognized myself in this article! Fortunately, I stopped it, but good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think I will need luck. Happy to see that others latinists have already felt that.

      Delete
  3. OK, on monday we are going to talk about all the latin words in Harry Potter because it's so cool !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, as a potterhead I'll be really happy to talk about it with you.

      Delete
  4. I take russian, so i feel you ;(
    also i like your 3rd point a lot! i indeed have no idea what any of the Black names mean, and i figured out it was latin but wasn't sure, so thanks for the clarification! i just know that the name Remus Lupin (who is my favourite HP character, really the only reason i know that) comes from latin, cause lupus in latin means wolf, and Remus was the co-founder of Rome who was raised by a wolf. anyways this is insanely clever, if you know more about HP and latin feel free to share bc thats very interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to see that you are interested, I am thinking to make a whole article on the latin impact of harry potter and black family's names will be mentioned (of course).

      Delete
  5. I understand your pain Ines... I'm glad I stopped latin last year. And I promise I will stop to laugh when you have to go to latin while I just have to go home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to sing my Latin lessons to remember them for my exams, am - am - as - ae - ae -as -... I'm going to stop there but if it can help Ines try to sing your lessons too ! Moreover, I know you love singing so, try it even if it can be weird :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll do that, I have a test on the present conjugation so I'll try you methode, thank you.

      Delete
  7. my fellow latinist... LET US RISE FOR THE GLORY OF THE ROSA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I may, alea jacta est. This article has been written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found this article really interesting and motivating. Because, when studying latin, its is hard to actually stay 100% motivated. I mean it's a dead language but the history that you learn with it can actully be worth it.

    ReplyDelete