Tuesday, September 17, 2024

HOW A24 TOOK OVER HOLLYWOOD!!

 

If you watched Pearl, Priscilla, or Midsommar, you have probably noticed this A24 sign showing up at the very beginning. This sign is actually something that changed the film industry and literally took over Hollywood!!!1!1!1!!11

Hallooo  I’m Nana and I’m going to explain HOW A24 TOOK OVER HOLLYWOOD :3

It all started in 2012 in New York when Daniel Katz, David Frenkel, and John Hodges founded a small film distribution company. Why? There was this niche movie genre that had no spotlight—something totally different from romance, fantasy, or science fiction, etc. Let’s call it a 2010s style. These three guys wanted to put a spotlight on this new and unique genre by helping filmmakers (especially beginners).What’s different about A24 compared to other distribution companies is that they offer

 t o t a l  freedom. It’s basically the core purpose of their company.

Let’s compare some:

Paramount will buy films and acquire all rights (editing, screening, and promoting) to make money—lots of money. (No hate towards Paramount, btw.)

A24, on the other hand, gives total freedom of production to filmmakers and their teams, as well as offering their own support. (This is more accessible if you’re a small director with no experience, etc.)

A24 achieved significant success with Spring Breakers, directed by Harmony Korine and starring Selena Gomez (a purely strategic choice). And let me tell you, the movie made their careers GGGGGROW.

However, A24 isn’t just a distribution company with a unique way to promote their work; it’s also a brand!!!!

Memberships, merch, and even some quirky items like a pet rock (?????????????????) are part of their creative promotions. AND it works. Here are some examples I found interesting (including the pet rock lol):


pet rock from Everything Everywhere All At Once ( 2022 ) 


Priscilla X J.Hannah Silver Heart locket necklace 
( Priscilla, 2023 ) 


MaXXXine Soundtrack Vinyl ( MaXXXine, 2024 ) 
I dream of this every nights 




And also the membership!! (Includes: magazine subscription, all-access app, member pricing, and birthday gift (I NEED THIS!))



A24's Membership! 

And here is also how they promoted one of their movies with a pop-up store in New York City! ( the pop-up is based on the movie A  Ghost Story: you can put sheets over yourself like a ghost and you'd get asked questions about the deep meaning of life, funny isn't it? ) 



A Ghost Story promoting Pop-up store. 

So far, A24 has 16 Academy Awards wins, 8 Oscars, and has appeared many, many times at the Sundance Film Festival. And if you search on your own, I’m sure you’ll find many articles detailing how A24 took over Hollywood in terms of fame and influence!!

that's it Bye xx



6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, the Pet Rock campaign always made me giggle as I always saw it as a meme taken from those weird '80s and '90s toys, I had no idea it was actually part of a creative promotion for A24, that's really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this article! It's really interesting. I really like the pet rock, it's sooo fun ! And I like the fact that A24 let directors a lot of freedom about their work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently saw The Zone of Interest by Jonathan Glazer which is distributed by A24 but I didn't really like it. It's not very constructive but I guess you should see it to understand... Your article was very interesting to me !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I love how much support and freedom A24 offers to beginner filmmakers, it's so smart and clearly very successful ! The ghost pop-up store actually looks pretty amazing, I kind of love the concept, also, that pet rock is now a necessity in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been fascinated by the fact that every single A24 movie has their own unique aesthetic while still keeping that same specific fiber that caracterizes the studio so well. This article just makes me want to know more about those movies, and I love their originality when it comes to communication and marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowww, what a great article ! I find very interesting the comparison you made between Paramount and A24, I didn't know at all about those differences so I'm very grateful :) I also think their "brand" side distinguishes them very well from the others, as you've clearly explained

    ReplyDelete