Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Aftersun

 

Hello !

I'm writing this article about Aftersun ( by Charlotte Wells ) one of my favourites movies of the past years.

          I used to love a certain type of films where the emotions are triggered in an obvious way, like, of course you will cry because « he leaves her » or anything else. but I've recently developed an interest in implicit stories which then require me to watch dozens of YouTube videos to see what people think about the movie, and what they can analyse about it, wich is longer but such a mood.


So one of them is Aftersun ( 2022 ), starring Paul Mescal and Frankie Corio, who form an unforgettable father-daughter duo.




            So the film, in my words, is about seeing a woman's memories of a specific moment in her childhood; summer vacation in Turkey with his father. She remembers discussions, moments, things that she didn't really understand before because she was too young. The film is quite contemplative, not much happens but it's the kind of film that says a lot.

It's kind of autobiographical because the director was inspired by her own relationship with her father.

(picture of a scene in the movie found on pinterest)



            The ending of the film is truly surprising. I know that this film can be liked by a lot of people, and that is already the case all over the world, but I also know that it is not necessarily liked by everyone, so watch it but without expecting much and that's how you will really enjoy it.

            One thing that was really successful with the staging of the film is that the story takes place during the summer holidays, it's beautiful, it's calm, but at the same time, we feel throughout that something is wrong, something is wrong with the characters' attitude, but it's never really said explicitly, it's just a work of direction.

 There's also an amazing music scene that I found on a youtube video, and now every time I hear Under Pressure, I think of Aftersun.

Take a look, it won't spoil anything I promise :)                         ( I hope it's working )



        Oh and I loved the costumes, Sophie's clothes are really beautiful. And the beauty of the scenes. But I don't want to say too much. Just a really good movie. Thanks for reading!



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this clear and undrestandable explination of Aftersun. I haven't watched it yet, but I am pretty sure that I will like it, since I love movies with surprising endings. I found the plot really significant. I am definitly looking forward to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Zélie for that very intersting, comprehensive and detailled presentation of that movie ! It seem to be a really good-written movie and your article made me want to see it. I think that I'm gonna do that pretty soon !

    ReplyDelete