Sunday, September 13, 2020

Iconic series : "Malcolm in the Middle"

Dear Charlie,

I hope you all are doing well! This is my first article on the blog and I am going to speak about my favourite series (I mean the only one I have ever watched, shame on me) :


Sorry, this one is not for the “My Wife and Kids” fans lol ! “Malcolm in the middle” is one of the most iconic series in the 00’s (already twenty years old !!), but I was way too young (or not even born yet) at the time, so I never watched it until … quarantine ! It was available on “6ter”, in French unfortunately, and I watched the seven seasons with my family.

The series was created by Lindwood Boomer and as you may already know, the story is about an American stereotypical family of six (the parents and their four sons). It is quite realistic and I love the silly humor it has. Here is a little description of the characters :

 

Malcolm is obviously the main character. He is played by Frankie Muniz and is eleven years old at the beginning of the series. He is very smart and egocentric.

Reese, a bit older than Malcolm, is the "silly bully", and according to me, the funniest ! He is good at cooking too. He is played by Justin Berfield.

Then there is Dewey, the youngest. Malcolm and Reese are jealous because he is Lois’ favourite and they often hit him. But he is also smart and, later, we discover he is a great pianist.




Their parents really love each other. The mother, Lois, runs the house, and she terrifies everyone when she is angry. She sometimes feels lonely as the only woman in the family. The father, Hal, is immature and really close to his sons. He often does stupidities with them. They are played by the famous actress and actor Jane Kaczmarek and Bryan Cranston.

(The latter also played in “Breaking Bad” (don’t spoil me I haven’t watched it yet !), and a lot of people say both of the series are related. I love this theory lol)

 


And finally, Christopher Masterson played the role of Francis, the oldest and extremely turbulent brother who was sent to a military school by his parents.



There are a lot of other characters but I let you (re)discover them 😉

My favourite episode is the fifth of the sixth season (titled “Kitty’s Back”).

Here is the music of the generic if you are nostalgic : https://youtube.com/watch?v=J8y8Ziwswe0www.

I hope I made you want to (re)watch the series, and if you already saw it, then tell me what you thought about it !

Finally, I would add : Reese graduated high school, so can we !

Bye Charlie !

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I like this show too! It reminds me of primary school but i don't remember so much about it except that Dewey was my favorite because he was small and anoying ( just like me ). Anyway great article:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this really the only series you've ever watched? I think this is becoming rare in today's society. I usesd to watch it. I may be tempted to do so again. I think that every character brings his or her own flavor and set of relections and this series is not only funny but also sociologically and pyschologically interesting. Finally, I find it fascinating that even though it is from the 9O's (if memory serves me well), many of you find it relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, no, maybe, I don't know... Could you repeat the question?
    Poopy poopy poopy poo
    Live, live, live, die
    Yes, if you hadn't noticed yet, I am fan of Dewey! I haven't watched the whole series in order but all my life I watched an episode here and an episode there. Concerning your "watching series experience" I also myself never watched any series except if you take in account Malcom in the middle and Little house in the prairie (I followed the same watching-an-episode-here and watching-an-episode-there pattern). It is here that you realize that my series culture is really 6ter and M6 (because before the two series used to be on M6) centered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. heyyyy, I watched some episodes with my mom (I never watched the complete series) and I really liked it. I get nostalgic when I hear the music. Also, (not so)fun-fact, the actor of Malcolm doesn't remember his days on set because he became amnesic after an accident, and I think that's very sad.

    ReplyDelete