Sunday, April 05, 2020

Artist #1 : Hobo Johnson

Hi Charlie ! It's been a while...

Okay, for those who don't know me, 2 things : I'm often bored and I like music. So, I thought that I could combine the two and write an article on the blog about music. But I'm going to do more ; I commit to writing an article each week about a not-that-famous artist we should all know. I’ll try to do different styles, but I can assure you there won’t be any metal/hard rock bands. Yes I know this means 40% of the OIB not reading my articles, but hey, we’re on Charlie’s OIB, only secondes go here – and the teachers. I’ll also create a youtube (NOT SPOTIFY SIBYLLE) playlist with a few songs from the artist.

So today, the artist is Hobo Johnson ! 

Hobo Johnson "Uglykid" (Taylor Fauntleroy, dir.) | VideoStatic


So, he is a Californian “rapper”, or emo rapper according to Wikipedia ; yes, I know when I say that you all think about a guy that mumbles about how he hates himself. Actually you’re very far ; his rap and the music are really dynamic. He is also really funny, and you can listen to his music at any time, it’s not demanding at all, as Radiohead for example. What I really like about him is that often he places the words slightly off beat which gives the impression he’s talking to us. He mentions a lot his dad – he seemed to have many problems – and maybe because he kicked him out of his house so he became homeless – his stage name comes from that. I have nothing more to say, so I’ll just talk about some of my favourite songs from him

Typical Story : I think that this song is more rock than rap, apart from the singing (is that how you say in rap music, I’m a normie, excuse me) itself. When I feel bit down and don’t want to listen to Radiohead – yes, them, again – I listen to this song, and it kind of boosts me.

Ugly Kid : I just love the music in this song, really beautiful. I don’t know what else to say. 

Additional information : He made a lot of lives in numerous gardens and an incredible one in Tiny Desk ; I’ll put all the videos in the playlist ! 

Here's the link : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKEiDghku6LGg-Z133ndOvMvu3FOzbsnD

1 comment:

  1. We can always count on you for singers that are off the beaten track (at least as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete