Friday, March 20, 2015

How English ruined Indian literature

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "english language & indian culture"
Dear Charlie,
Here's an opinion piece that you'll  surely find interesting in relation to  Fasting Feasting and Sujata Bhatt (IGCSE program) and post-colonial writing in general (OIB program)
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/opinion/sunday/how-english-ruined-indian-literature.html?emc=edit_ty_20150320&nl=opinion&nlid=69421750
It's definitely food for thought.
I'll be very interested to get your and the students' views on it.
Best,
Mrs.C

2 comments:

  1. I found this article really interesting about post-colonialism literature and it made me learn more about it.
    It really reminded me when we were studying Sujata Bhatt's poems and I think I have better understood these poems thanks to this article. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sounds exactly like what Sujata Bhatt could be talking about, how colonisation is not only cultural hegemony but also the transformation of the culture itself that left the country without an identity built over time.

    ReplyDelete