Sunday, March 07, 2021

We were liars

 


Hi Charlie !


Today I'll be presenting one of the last book I read : « We were liars » and to introduce you to this book, here's the last line of the synopsis : “Read it. And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE”.


We were liars by E.Lockhart tells the story of four teenagers: Cadence, Gat, Johnny and Mirren. They’re all from the same family except Gat who is just a friend. Each summer, they go on an island called « Beechwood Island » and spend the summer together. Since they’re from a rich family, everyone is perfect, athletic and handsome, nobody does anything wrong. But these four like to break the rules, together. So we’re gonna follow their adventures before and after a mysterious event we will try to understand with them.


I discovered this book on tik tok and this mysterious plot twist intrigued me. Also, a lot of people were saying that the end is devastating and I love sad books/series/movies so I wanted to try.


And now, my opinion on the book (without any spoiler) :

I loved it, I couldn't put it down it was so good and catchy, the writing style is incredible, it's poetic but at the same time it's like you're listening to your friend telling you a story so the mix between the two is perfect. And the plot twist ??? Maybe it's because I'm dumb but I didn't see it coming AT ALL. If I had to tell something I didn't like, it's subjective but I would say that I can't relate to any of the characters and it's always better when you project yourself into someone in a story. And because of that, I didn't cry at the end. Yeah I know, it's sad but since I didn't relate to the characters I wasn't attached to them a lot so I was shocked and kinda sad but it was it.
In the beginning, I didn’t like any character but as the story progressed I finally liked Cadence since the whole book is from her point of view we learn to know her well and with that I can say that I love her ! There is also Mirren, I find her really cute and nice, she's a good friend to Cadence.


If you read this book and want some with the same vibe, I heard that “One of us is lying” by Karen M.McManus and « The Darkest Corners » by Kara Thomas do. And if you want sad books, read « The Song of Achilles » by Madeline Miller it's the best and saddest book I've ever read, I literally cried to it last night.

See you soon Charlie !!

2 comments:

  1. OOOOOooh! I remember reading this back in year 7, it is definitely one of my favourite books from back then. (dont worry i was flabbergasted by the plot twist as well). I personally blubbered like an infant but we wont discuss that hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ! I have also seen this book on tiktok many times, it's like everyone is talking about it. So I was thinking about reading it but I was afraid of being disappointed. Now I must say you convinced me because I like plot twists (I think it's boring when the end of a book is really obvious) and I love sad stories too, so this book seems like the perfect one for me ! The plot is quite unusual and it made me want to read this book ! Thanks for the other recommandations, I'll have a look !

    ReplyDelete