Sunday, December 13, 2020

Mix as a suffix

Once in a complex system, you know it well and can even teach it to others. But the hardest thing to do is properly to enter that system, for you must try and put aside what you know in order to accept better that you are in a position of learning.

Philocomix tries to teach philosophy assuming that their readers know nothing about it and are quite unsympathetic to the subject: the book thus needs to be perfectly attractive and well-made to keep the reader into the story and to be able to teach something to me. I think that, in every topic, one of the hardest things to master is introductory and basic concepts. They are indeed the pillars of all the knowledge you are then going to gain. What Philocomix tries to do is basically to link the introduction to the topic of philosophy with the idea of making the subject vaster and broader to really provide the reader with an efficient lesson.

 Philocomix - tome 1 - Nouvelle édition eBook: THIVET, JEAN-PHILIPPE,  VERMER, JEROME, COMBEAUD, ANNE-LISE, Thivet, Jean-Philippe, Vermer, Jérôme:  Amazon.fr 

I know, you read the cover and realised it's actually in French. Well, literature is not only great in English, right? I'm sure you'll all agree. This one is the one I read first, and I found it brilliant since it was a few years ago already, and I actually knew nothing at all about philosophy. I learnt quite a lot, from what philosophy is concretely, to how some of the most important authors used to think, and what it thus created in terms of ideology.

As a really liked this way to present very complex fields, I looked for more books of that kind and found Logicomix and Economix.

I've not looked at the former yet, but I read quickly the latter today, sitting on the stairs of the bookshop. It seemed extremely interesting since I could find in it elements which I already saw in economics, at school, but also plenty of new things. They were always very easy to access. One thing I remember most is that quote on the cover (I translated it): "Economix is a an extraordinary book. Had it existed before the crisis, some bankers would not have dared selling so many subprime loans." Le Monde. This quote really shows the power of this book, which in fact is quite ambiguous: at the same time it has the power to popularise a very complex system, and on the other hand it is so well made that even important bankers could have learnt from it.

 

Here is its cover! So, if you've got no present for Christmas yet, and need to offer something to:

  • someone who does not understand anything to economics;
  • a bad banker;
  • someone who wants to learnt a lot, not reading much (it's a graphic novel!);
  • anyone else, interested in economics;
  • me...

Feel free to buy it! Maupetit has got quite a few in stock...

 
Toàn


1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you ! A very interesting comic book which effectively sums up the thought of 10 philosophers, from Antiquity to the 19th century, and which brings them together on the theme of happiness.

    I love how it discusses Epicureanism and stoicism, becoming a superman, utilitarianism ... sometimes vague terms that suddenly become clear and that we want to explore in more detail. It's an absolute feast of literature that will help teenagers like us to understand basic concepts of philosophy as well as children or adults who are rubbing shoulders with it for the first time!

    ReplyDelete