Saturday, November 30, 2019

glittery, sassy and cocky

Hi y'all! It's been a long time and although I haven't necessarily missed writing here I would never miss an occasion to talk fashion (and raise my involvement grade). A few months ago I came across a designer called Christian Cowan who started his career a few years ago only. Since then, his style and aesthetic have been resonating with me so I thought I should share that with you guys.

He basically makes ready-to-wear, it's not haute couture. His style is very modern and girly, he likes to put glitter everywhere, bright colors as well as pastel colors. I love that bold and feminine vision of womenswear that he has: a woman that doesn't shy away from shining and that works those heels and skin-tight dress. Cowan indeed plays with colors, exaggerated silhouettes and referencing to bring a campy* aspect to his clothing.

Here are some of my favorite looks from his Spring 2020 collection.



Look 1: The adaptation of a towel into a dress is genius, simple and effective. It's camp, it's cute and a very good outfit to start his runway.

Look 2: BEAUTIFUL, I love the break between the urban denim cut the little bow. The colors are lovely, and although pastel has been done and seen so many - too many - times these past few years, here it seems intentional. To me, Cowan here takes feminine symbolics such as this cute and sweet color palette or the previous towel to transform it. The glitter outlines add THE extra touch needed.

Look 3: I love that so much, Katy Perry wore it to promote her single Small Talk and oh my god it's so good. It's like "I am a gift to this world" is written on the dress. It is so ridiculous that it works, it is confident, bold, shiny, everything that I love about Cowan's aesthetic.

Look 4: This outfit is the most representative of how this designer sets himself in the urban landscape. The checkerboard pattern is very trendy and here Cowan plays with it as well as with the silhouette because all those different patterns can create optical illusions. The exaggerated puff sleeves balance the tightness of the clothing and the touches of green show how he also likes to play with color-blocking and graphic aesthetics.

Look 5: This is the final piece of his collection and I think it was very well chosen. The color is bright and vivid, it goes very well with the general idea behind the collection and Cowan's fashion-sense. It is short and tight but the sleeves here again break the silhouette and add dimension. The material is shiny and pleasant to the eye.

If you want to see more of him, here is the ICONIC collection he made last year inspired by the Powerpuff Girls. To finish the article, I'll just put here the outfit that saved the MTV's Video Music Awards' red carpet :

 

Worn by Lil Nas X, it was the first time Cowan dressed a man and thank God he did because that red carpet was awful.

2 comments:

  1. that lil nas costume is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. guess I'm never gonna understand fashion. why should you wear something if it's not confortable (although I have to admit that with less glitter the last one is nice)

    ReplyDelete